Author Topic: SOLVED: Can't Ctrl Rcvr Vol and No Sound for About 10 s After Playback Started  (Read 3742 times)

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
I was wondering if anyone else can confirm whether they've seen this.

When I start playback of any media the following happens:
    1. for about the first 10 seconds the receiver volume cannot be set using an orbiter
    2. starting after a few seconds the sound cuts out for about 10 seconds then returns for good

I have both a Marantz and Denon receiver that I have used on my hybrid/core. With the Denon, (1) and (2) happen.  With the Marantz only (1) happens.

I have also determined that (1) and (2) only happen for the first item of a playlist.  That is, when a song or video ends and the next item starts playing neither (1) or (2) happen.

Thanks,

Alex

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:29:25 pm by alx9r »

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
I wish now I had taken notice when I had the Yamaha in place of the Denon. But it is related to the PC, if I switch to a Live control of a DVD player or STB from LMCE the problem is not there, it is only when streaming through LMCE from Network Storage it seems.

Thanks for confirming this Dave.

Can anyone who is using a Yamaha receiver weigh in on this issue?  That might help to narrow down the cause, especially if it's related to how the device template is set up.

Alex

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
I did some investigation into the sound cutting out issue:

Code: [Select]
tail -f /var/log/pluto/59_Generic_Serial_Device.log | grep '^40\|^41'

shows this line in the log exactly when the sound cuts out:

40      11/25/08 20:36:25.694           Sending buffer to ttyS1 with size 6: <0x53 0x49 0x44 0x56 0x44 0xd (SIDVD\r)>. <0x42804950>

Basically, LinuxMCE sends 'SIDVD' (which is #165 select DVD input) to the receiver.  The problem is that sending this command causes the receiver's audio to cut out (presumably while it manages switching inputs) for a few seconds.  Incidentally, manually changing the input with the selector knob causes the audio to cut out for exactly the same amount of time.

As a simple workaround, I commented out the code in the #165 ruby rectangle:
#<$"SIDVD\r"$>

Doing this prevents LinuxMCE from ever sending the "select DVD input signal" 'SIDVD'.  This works for me because I only use the "DVD" input on the receiver anyway.  If you need LinuxMCE to switch between inputs, this workaround won't help.

Cheers,

Alex

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
Did you change this in the Template for your Denon device.
yes.

I have no Ruby snippets in my template for the Denon.
That's strange.  Mine definitely does.

So basically LMCE is sending out the string every so often to see if we are still on that input.
I've only confirmed that it sends 'SIDVD' once a few seconds after playback starts.  I did not have the same issue you described where audio cuts out throughout a movie for example.

I see it do this all the time with the TV as well. I will get a 1080P window with the input listed in the top right corner of the Sharp TV screen.
I have seen the '1080P' window on my Sharp TV at odd times too, but I'm not sure if the two are the same root cause.

I looked through my GSD log as well and it seems to be polling the input at Random.
What do you mean by 'polling the input at Random'?  i.e. What do you see in the log?

I think we need some kind of ruby mute circuit so it does this and we cannot tell. I have multiple inputs used on my Denon so a global fix is needed.
I agree.

Cheers,

Alex

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
When I start playback of any media the following happens:
    1. for about the first 10 seconds the receiver volume cannot be set using an orbiter
    2. starting after a few seconds the sound cuts out for about 10 seconds then returns for good

I have both a Marantz and Denon receiver that I have used on my hybrid/core. With the Denon, (1) and (2) happen.  With the Marantz only (1) happens.

I have also determined that (1) and (2) only happen for the first item of a playlist.  That is, when a song or video ends and the next item starts playing neither (1) or (2) happen.

I have solved this problem with an overhauled device template for the Denon receiver.  In troubleshooting this, I'm pretty sure the same problems that were causing this on the Denon also cause it on the Marantz.

As soon as I can get posde's device template import/export script working I'll post the new, improved, device template.

Alex