Author Topic: KDE Dolphin and Disk Size  (Read 3166 times)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
KDE Dolphin and Disk Size
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:47:46 am »
Been copying DVD's most of the weekend and ran into an issue.  Maybe I'm just not looking at this properly.

Core has (2) 500 Gb SATA disk

When I look at the storage from within KDE / Dolphin - it shows two 500 Gb drives.  Upon clicking each drive, one shows the correct free space; the other shows 223Gb Free and comes up under a tmp.hmbxdh7129.  However, when I select Root or another location it only shows 80Gb free. 

I have copied dvd's to that drive but only 4 or 5.

Can anyone explain if I'm seeing the correct disk space ?

When I try to copy a dvd to the drive from within the MD I get a message drive full.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: KDE Dolphin and Disk Size
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:46:44 pm »
 ;)
Maybe I can shed some light on this. The LMCE system is always mounting, and un-mounting drives, with its storage radar. At any one given time, unless the drive is currently in use, it is possible you are getting a false reading.

What you saw in Dolphin was the drive in the process of getting re-mounted/scanned by the core. Any time you see something show up in a "tmp." format, it is currently getting re-mounted, and may not show the correct size, while it is in the process of being mounted at /mnt/device<device number>.

I would wait until the system is settled down, or try viewing it while you are actually copying data to it, perhaps then it will stay mounted and give you a more true reading.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:02:05 am »
Thanks Seth, I'll follow your sugesstion and see what turns up. 

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 05:53:49 am »
Hi

I wated 24 hours and decided to see what was up with the disk drive.  Here's what I've found.

In Dolphin, when I click on Drives, select the drive that is empty, navigate to public and select videos, I see all of the videos.  Thinking that I might be looking at the wrong drive, I navigate to the other and see the same thing, with free disk space of 80Gb out of 500Gb.

I know this can't be right, but I thought maybe both drives were being shared by the system as I copied media.

I put in another DVD, select copy, select change drives, at this point I see my two 500 Gb disks, one shows 80Gb free and the other 264Gb free.  When I select the disk with the 264Gb and save to public, I get the message that the disk is being copied and immediately another message that state the Disk is Full.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening ?  Why do all of my media show up on both disks ?  Why does the disk read as it has space, but when trying to use it, it states it's full ?

Could it possible be that since both disks are WD5000AK, that the system really thinks they are one and not two ?

Just curious about this behavior as I am planning to load this system with Tb of disk space and want to ensure that I use it correctly.

Thanks for the help.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 03:08:56 pm »
I have 3 of the WD5000AK in my system, so that can not be the case.

Not sure what to tell you, it almost looks like permissions. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth