Author Topic: HP t5520 thinclient  (Read 4582 times)

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
HP t5520 thinclient
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:20:12 pm »
I'm trying to get Diskless MD set up on this hp thinclient but right after it says loading diskless setup.sh it fails.  Now i'm not sure if this is going to work but i had one of these clients and wanted to try it out.  Any suggestions?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: HP t5520 thinclient
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:40:49 pm »
Probably won't work - you should note that MDs are not "thin clients". They are normal "fat clients" that happen to be diskless and mount their fat client filesystem over the network instead. Thin clients are very basic hardware, with just enough smarts to create RDP remote desktop connections, etc so that all the processing is done remotely. An MD, all the processing is done on the client itself, hence fat client. These units are using a Via chipset including CPU, only have 128MB of RAM, and probably only a very basic architecture... enough to run Windows CE, but little else. Hardware so specifically tuned to CE is likely to be problematic with other OS's it wasn't designed to run, such as Linux....

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:52:45 pm »
what kind of NIC is in those?

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:08:18 am »
Probably won't work - you should note that MDs are not "thin clients". They are normal "fat clients" that happen to be diskless and mount their fat client filesystem over the network instead. Thin clients are very basic hardware, with just enough smarts to create RDP remote desktop connections, etc so that all the processing is done remotely. An MD, all the processing is done on the client itself, hence fat client. These units are using a Via chipset including CPU, only have 128MB of RAM, and probably only a very basic architecture... enough to run Windows CE, but little else. Hardware so specifically tuned to CE is likely to be problematic with other OS's it wasn't designed to run, such as Linux....

Actually the correct term is neither thin- nor fat-clients but diskless nodes.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:18 am »
So does anybody else have any ideas on how to impliment this thing into my network?  Or should i just get rid of it (ebay).  Because right now i can't think of a reason to actually keep it..

Thanks for the help.