Author Topic: Learn about networking (hard and software)  (Read 4246 times)

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Learn about networking (hard and software)
« on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:22 pm »
Hello peoples

Does anyone know a good step-by-step guide for setting up networking.
I am a newbie to the setting up of networking both hardware and software.  I would love to read through a good, easy, network setup for dummies guide.  I am in the process of setting up a standalone hybrid as my intro to Linux and LinuxMCE.  One I get that up and working I want to start setting up the networking side of things but I have a lot to learn.

I am one of those people that writes himself a step-by-step guide for everything I do on the computer.  do you think that would be helpfully in the Wiki once I have got it sorted?  It will take me a couple of months though.

Cheers
chipppy
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

'Cry wolf and let slip the dogs of war'

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Learn about networking (hard and software)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:21:16 pm »
Yes please add your step by step to wiki when ready.
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:49:41 pm »
Well there are plenty of guides out there on the internet that will teach you about networking, And you do got something to learn to wire your house up and learn about ethernet cables and cable speeds, cat-5, cat-6... 10/100/1000 mbit stuff.... But on the software side .... for LMCE it is recommended you let the system do the assigning of ips, subnet masks, QoS, etc automatically.

So aside from setting up the internet connection part of your LMCE set up (ip address,subnetmask, gatway), and even this part is mostly plug-and-play with most ISP's (via DHCP), there isn't much to tinker with without breaking something. It's great to know/learn this stuff, but its not recommended you experiment with learning this stuff on your LMCE box.

In most situations, configuring the networking portion of LMCE is as simple as..... placing 2 Network cards in your Core/Hybrid, connecting 1 cable to ethernet card 1 to your DSL/Cable modem, the other cable to ethernet card 2 -> a network switch/hub, then placing any other networking devices such as computers from their network card -> switch hub.  And thats surprisingly it, in most scenarios.

Try also looking in the user setup's section of the wiki, some people have drawn diagrams of their setup which may include the networking portion of how they connected their devices.  Also take a look at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Wiring_Considerations for network cabling suggestions.

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 12:22:30 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.
I thinkI need to put more explianation into the how-dum-a-guide bit.
I know what a switch/hub is but how to install one and set it up I dont know.
Also what is ips, subnet mask, Qos etc.  This is the sort of level that I looking to understand.  I have some bits and pieces (little understanding) but no where near enough.
I see that you say there are plenty of guides. Is there specific guides that you would recommend as a beggineers guide to setting up a network (probably more hardware based then software, as it sounds like LinuxMCE does most of the software side of things.
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:27:31 pm »
Well, this is more information then you need to get LMCE running... but a quick book search turns up this link
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=Aq0IPzq4XZEC&dq=idiot's+guide+to+networking&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=MLqJFN_nna&sig=smWmzaiv0g5oG-qzsYvTRnNedok&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA359,M1
which is the 'idiots guide to networking', should have a good explanation of how things work.

As for getting LMCE up and running it should be as simple as.... plug 1 cable into the core's network port, the other end into your switch.  plug a second cable into the core's second network port, and the other end into your dsl/cable modem.

Then to add a media director, plug 1 end of the network cable to the media director, and the other end into the switch.  And thats about it in most cases.  If you have more network devices / computers you plug 1 end into your device/computer and the other end into the switch.  Basically everyone connects to the switch with the exception of your internet connection from the core.

[Internet Modem] <-----> [Core port 1][Core port 2] <-----> [Switch] <------> [Media director]

Good luck with the reading.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »
Learn about ISO/OSI layers.

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 08:30:05 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhh! I see said the blind man to his deaf horse.

I am over thinking it.  I thought I needed to set things up (switch, MD ethernet card etc).  If I understand now I dont need to set anything up just PNP.
Doh!

Thanks for that.

Cheers
Chipppy

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:28:17 pm »
 :)
Here is the best way to set up your home LMCE network. In its simplest fashion:

Internet Modem (Cable/DSL/FIOS/Satellite)

into

LMCE Core-Core/Hybrid NIC #1 10/100

then from the Core/Hybrid

NIC #2 10/100/1000

Into Wireless G/N Router with DHCP disabled
or
Stand alone 10/100/1000 Switch
with a wire to a wireless G/N router with DHCP disabled

LMCE becomes the center of your network, controlling all aspects of internal networking, and routing to the internet, printers or other internal files/servers-NAS devices.

All the hard stuff has been done for you already, all you need to do is plug and go!  ;D

LMCE is the stuff of dreams  ;)

Welcome and Regards,

Seth

p.s. I go from the internet to the core, from the core to a 10/100/1000 switch, with a port on the switch feeding my Linskys WRT100 wireless router, to serve up wireless in my house. All other MD's and devices, are connected to the 10/100/1000 switch.

You can check out my network diagram in the User Setups in the wiki, I believe it is tagged in my signature.

Again, Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth