Author Topic: GUI, Now Playing & Bluray - Help from Hyderabad  (Read 16036 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: GUI, Now Playing & Bluray - Help from Hyderabad
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 04:06:29 pm »
OK, so one is naughty and the other is bad, but neither are as ethical as open source, which is my point.
It is not about the difference between being naughty or bad but it's like bluntly saying apples are oranges. 

Apart from that one could argue that intelectual property isn't ethical at all to begin with.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 04:54:33 pm »
I am sure there are plenty that would make that argument, till its their idea that is stolen.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 06:00:30 pm »
I am sure there are plenty that would make that argument, till its their idea that is stolen.

And here we have yet another person who does not understand the concept of theft, just keep calling apples oranges...
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 06:01:56 pm »
Ideas are just concepts.

They mean nothing unless you do something with them.

Myself, I have dedicated my life to sharing everything I think up with others. I can't morally do otherwise.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 06:55:25 pm »

And here we have yet another person who does not understand the concept of theft, just keep calling apples oranges...

I fully understand the concept of theft.

In criminal law, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.

Now you might disagree that an idea can be viewed as someone's property, and that can be argued. However, I work at a design and engineering firm (as an IT guy) where we compete for business with other firms. If there were no laws against stealing intellectual property, what would keep me from looking at the design and engineering concepts and handing them to our competitors? These are just ideas, but they will eventually lead to contracts and jobs and money. The same principle can be applied to any field. As far as Thom's statement of freely sharing his ideas with others that would be covered under the "freely-given consent" i.e. open source software.

Now maybe you are saying that its not theft because you are not leaving the person without their original idea (if i gave the idea to my company's competitor, my company would still have the idea also), but this part of theft is called appropriation, or asserting ownership over what is not rightfully yours.

All in all it doesn't really matter I was just implying that if I came up with a brilliant idea to make a pile of money and someone "took" my idea without my consent, called it their own, packaged and sold it leaving me with no profits of my own, it might change my outlook on the subject. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 06:57:36 pm »
guys, PLEASE. This conversation _IS NOT_ productive. It is ground entirely in subjectivism and has _NO_ bearing on this thread.

_STOP_ or I will get nasty.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »
you cannot steal ideas. If you ask me, backing off information is the real crime to society.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »
guys, PLEASE. This conversation _IS NOT_ productive. It is ground entirely in subjectivism and has _NO_ bearing on this thread.

_STOP_ or I will get nasty.

-Thom

Well I respectfully disagree, but am stepping away from this argument at Thom's request.
Happy Holidays!
-Krys

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »
Now you might disagree that an idea can be viewed as someone's property, and that can be argued. However, I work at a design and engineering firm (as an IT guy) where we compete for business with other firms. If there were no laws against stealing intellectual property, what would keep me from looking at the design and engineering concepts and handing them to our competitors? These are just ideas, but they will eventually lead to contracts and jobs and money.
crap. That is only part of the equation. You also have to implement those concepts reliably and support them long term. That gives you contracts and trust and seperates you from the competition. And IT business is not rocket science.

All in all it doesn't really matter I was just implying that if I came up with a brilliant idea to make a pile of money and someone "took" my idea without my consent, called it their own, packaged and sold it leaving me with no profits of my own, it might change my outlook on the subject. 
Maybe your idea was brilliant, but you acted in a stupid way. There are no laws to protect people from stupidity.
Having a good idea is one thing. Making a successful product and earning money is the part where it becomes tricky.

br, Hari

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 07:08:22 pm »
you cannot steal ideas. If you ask me, backing off information is the real crime to society.

best regards,
Hari

I do agree that holding information to keep it from the public should be considered a crime... such as an oil company (cant remember which one) patenting a battery technology and not making it just so that it cant hit the market. if that is what you mean by backing off information.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »
we are now living in a culture where it is socially acceptable to pirate software, ...

not exactly. E.g. I've not seen a company using pirated software deliberately for years here.

br, Hari

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 07:47:22 pm »

And that is still not theft, proving my point that you do not even grasp the concept. 
-- Anonymous

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 08:04:52 pm »
I am not sure why you keep insulting my intelligence by saying that I don't grasp the concept... I do. My point is that if something like this happened to me I would reconsider how I felt about the subject, not because something has logically changed... just because I would want the millions of dollars. Hence why I said it would change my outlook, not the definition of theft, or your belief of what constitutes theft.

sorry for keeping this argument alive I just don't like to be wrongfully insulted.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 08:18:26 pm »
Guys - quit it!!!!! Who cares, this is the Features request forum. Stay on topic and listen to Thom, or don't post  :)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:23 pm »
I am not sure why you keep insulting my intelligence by saying that I don't grasp the concept... I do. My point is that if something like this happened to me I would reconsider how I felt about the subject, not because something has logically changed... just because I would want the millions of dollars. Hence why I said it would change my outlook, not the definition of theft, or your belief of what constitutes theft.

sorry for keeping this argument alive I just don't like to be wrongfully insulted.

Just because you are missing out on those fictious millions of dollars does not mean there is theft.  Yet you keep going on about stealing, while neither copying nor using sombody else's idea without permission constitutes theft.  That makes it pretty obvious that you have trouble grasping the concept of theft, and if you find that insulting then quit calling people thieves wrongly.
-- Anonymous