Author Topic: Motion is driving me crazy  (Read 3088 times)

secs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Motion is driving me crazy
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:28:35 am »
Hi all.

I have a 4 port card in the system and have been plying witht he motion wrapper etc.

I followed a help type page somewhere and installed a motion wrapper and then a generic card. BTW its 4 ports.

I confirmed it was working as best I could and plugged a camera into each port one at a time to make sure the box was seeing it as a 4 port and yes all went well. 3 blue screens and an image across one of the cameras. Although it was only showing an image on the top 1/4 of the jpg and the rest was blue.

So playing around I logged into the box via the motion stuff on port 8888 and looked at the parameters. Input was 8 and I needed 1 for a card, Norm was something and I needed 0 for PAL and a few other things.

So I played around and actually seemed to get it to work via the motion config files.

However it seems that every time I restart LMCE it overwrites the files for motion and as one example, Input always goes back to 8.

HAve I discovered something new or am I missing something? HAs anyone got any suggestions please as I am pulling my every decreasing hair out.

Peter

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Motion is driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:38:34 am »
secs: I've also got a 4-port capture card (from bluecherry) and have been playing with getting lmce to work properly with it. If you follow the guide on the wiki (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Monitor_surveillance_cameras) it will get you most of the way there, however one thing I found out is the "Device" and "Port/Channel" options seem to be counter intuitive. In the admin page, go to "Wizard" -> "Devices" -> "Surveillance Cameras" and the set the "Port/Channel" to be 0 for each card, and then make the "Device" fields "0", "1", "2", "3" and do a quick reload to see if that works. I also have the issue with only 1/4 of the box being filled on the admin page, but on the orbiter the picture is full screen.
One issue that is a major one is that after a while of running, one or more (usually just 1) of the cameras will stop refreshing.

And I haven't messed with changing the motion configuration yet, but I believe that's done in the admin page as well. "Wizard" -> "Devices" -> "Interfaces" and at the bottom of the motion wrapper will be "Motion Parameters". I may have had to set the inputs to 4 on this screen as well. Please let me know if you make any progress. -elspic

secs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:10:13 am »
Thanks all.

Well a bit of googling and a read here and there and I found how to fix the problem. I ended up finding my system didn't know what card it was and added some infor to the MODPROBE.D/options file and away we go.

Thanks all.

Peter

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:55:54 pm »
 ;)
Congrats on sorting it out. Now, you should add your steps to the wiki. In case in the future, you re-install, or someone else runs into your same issue.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

secs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:23:21 am »
"Congrats on sorting it out. Now, you should add your steps to the wiki. In case in the future, you re-install, or someone else runs into your same issue.

Regards,

Seth"

I am happy to do that if anyone can point me to the instructions on how to add it....

Without all you help, I wouldn't have got as far as I did.

Peter

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:36:25 am »
Here is a good place to start for you: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_a_page_to_the_wiki
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous