Author Topic: It can be done!  (Read 3443 times)

llherin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
It can be done!
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:50:41 pm »
quoting Frankstein Junior!

So, this post is to inform all the LinuxMCE community that, at last and after many problems (not all caused by LinuxMCE including a bios reflash, a couple of burnt internal cables, and endless hours spent installing and reinstalling the system) now it (mostly) works!
I'll post a detailed hardware configuration later in the Wiki, but the bulk of my system (core/hybrid) is a MEGA MSI-850 barebone system (a strange hybrid of pc and hi-fi) with a Hauppauge PVR-350 card (configured as PVR-250) and an NVIDIA GEForce TI 4200.

I would like to thank everybody who partecipated in development of this wonderful (but not yet very user friendly) system... too often I've seen post with people complaining when something doesn't work out of the box, but with some google-ing and a lo of patience...
IT CAN BE DONE! 

Cheers and thanks again!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:58:45 pm by llherin »

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
Re: It can be done!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:26 am »
Please tell me how you made Nvidia GeForce 4200 Ti to work because I'm having issues using this graphic card :(((

I install latest nvidia drivers and switch from "nv" to "nvidia" driver and X fails to start :(
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:04:23 am »
Please tell me how you made Nvidia GeForce 4200 Ti to work because I'm having issues using this graphic card :(((

I install latest nvidia drivers and switch from "nv" to "nvidia" driver and X fails to start :(
Check if you have the right nvidia drivers, they come in 3 flavors nowadays I think.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:12:32 am »
I have the right ones because when I tried to install other two the installer complained that my card works only with nvidia 96.43.07 driver. Any other suggestions?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:12:09 pm »
Then there is probably some setting in the xorg.conf file that the driver does not like.  You could try editing it and comment out options like "NoDDCValue", "UseEDID", "ExactModeTimingsDVI", "NoBandWidthTest", "ModeValidation" and "DynamicTwinView".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous