Author Topic: Complete newby with configuration problems  (Read 2316 times)

CB

• First post!
    • View Profile
Complete newby with configuration problems
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:44:08 pm »
Hi

I am completely new to Linux and LMCE. A friend of mine told me about it and, I must admit, I was impressed by how feature rich he said it was. So, I installed LMCE 0710 RC2 64-bit version) on a Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q about 2 weeks ago to have a look at what it can do. Unfortunately, I am having various problems configuring it. Some of them are:

1. The AMD Athlon X2 64 bit CPU is supposed to run at about 1.7 GHz but is registering in Kubuntu as 800 MHz. Is this normal?
2. The screen's resolution is 1280x800 but the OS will only display 1024x768 properly. Any ideas how to fix this?
3. Disappointingly, in the Kubuntu desktop, my machine keeps hanging. (I though only Windows did this.) The only thing I can do is force a shutdown using the power button. I guess this is a symptom of an underlying problem. How can I find out what is causing this to happen?
4. Audio CDs are seen as blank so I can't rip them. Why? I installed LMCE using a DVD I created from an ISO I downloaded, so the h/w is not dodgy.
5. The MP3s and JPG images I have copied to my HD are not being seen by the LMCE console. Where can I tell it where to look for them?

Any feedback/suggestions/jokes to cheer me up would be really helpful.

Cheers
CB

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Complete newby with configuration problems
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:49 pm »
1. This is probably an option in your bios for throttling, usually tied with smart fan or cool n quiet options..... and seeing how this is a laptop, its on by default to save battery... start doing something beefy and see if it ramps up....
2. This might take some manual intervention to get the correct modeline support for the display... it has an ati video chipset, which at least for the 7.10 release always seems to be a challenge in one form or another
3. Hanging, well I did a quick google and found people having problems with ubuntu and this machine, some were booting with noapic kernel argument, some were disabling the internal network card... You might need a newer kernel to support this hardware.  With everyone setting up linuxmce systems its best to stick to known good hardware.  The 710 LMCE is built off of kubuntu 7.10 which is a year old.  A new version that includes updated drivers is in the works, but not ready.  My suggestion is to find an older pc to test on or wait for the next version of LMCE.
4. Not sure what to say here...
5. Where did you copy the mp3s/jpg's to ?

I hope this helps.

And BTW running LMCE on a laptop as a core/hybrid is not really recommended.  LMCE shines in more of a .... dedicated backend server + clients (media directors) + orbiters (handheld controls) + home automation   type setup... not really as a single pc media center / watch dvds / listen to mp3s..... It can work like that but if thats all you intend to do there are probably better products more suited towards that thing.

Try finding an old p4 desktop machine to test LMCE on ... a buddy of mine picked a 2ghz p4 machine up off ebay a week ago for 30$ shipped.

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Complete newby with configuration problems
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »
With ATI chipset, choose UI1 to start with as it is not as pretty but worked for me with ATI, when UI2 did not.