Author Topic: D-Link DSM-750  (Read 2141 times)

fam891

• First post!
    • View Profile
D-Link DSM-750
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:57:47 pm »
Hi all.  I am looking at building a system to run LinuxMCE, but I want to be sure that it will work with my DSM-750.  All I want it to be able to do is access my media and display it on my TV in my living room.  Does anyone have any experience with LMCE and the DSM-750?

Thanks.

Frank

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: D-Link DSM-750
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »
We provide a UPnP server and client with LinuxMCE in the form of Fuppes, and djmount respectively. Both are automatically managed in LinuxMCE, with the exception that when media changes, you need to select the UPNP server menu item in the Web Admin, and rebuild the database for the UPnP server to reflect changes. The server will be changed in forthcoming releases to increase compatibility with more devices, as well as to improve the user experience.

With that said, yes, we do support the D-Link devices for UPNP, since no transcoding is done, the device needs to be able to natively support the target format (for now). It is important that for this to work, you must set up your network as we require it. (Please read the FAQ.)

also with THAT said... I highly recommend getting an inexpensive PC to boot as a media director, instead. It will provide the full functionality of the system. :)

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:06:30 pm »
This is Linux MCE not Windows MCE, they have nothing to do with each other. The DSM-750 is a Windows MCE extender. We have Media Directors, which are vastly superior.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:07:06 pm »
whoop, I thought the DSM-750 was a UPNP extender! :) SORRY!

-Thom