Author Topic: HELP: Cannot download LMCE  (Read 3745 times)

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
HELP: Cannot download LMCE
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
Good Morning

I am trying to download LinuxMCE at work due to not having enough download size at home.  I can only download 2GB at home so I want to use an XP machine at work to download the 2 DVD.iso's, while on nightshift
I have started the downloads a couple of time and directed XP to save the DVD.iso to my documents/downloads
Nothing appears in that folder. 
As the download speed at work is only 56kbs, the total download will take a few nights to complete.  I came back the next night to start the download again and it starts from scratch and still nothing in the downloads folder.
I am using the Australian Mirror (http://linuxmce.ihas.com.au/) but I can use any other if it a mirror related issue.

Can anyone help me out here.  How do I get XP to shown the DVD'iso file?  This is so I can trqansfer it to me USB drive to take home later
Also how do I get it to continue on the next night from where it left off the night before?

Cheers
chipppy
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

'Cry wolf and let slip the dogs of war'

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: Cannot download LMCE
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:15:49 pm »
Are you using any sort of download manager, if you are using firefox it has one, but if you are just using IE then it probably doesn't have the ability to start and stop a download without starting all over again. The file is probably being saved into some temp folder until it is completed which will never happen because it is starting over every time. I would highly recommend a DL manager if your not using one, especially important on 56k.

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »
I can download and install from the internet so does anyone recommend a good download manager that I can download for free.
I will try Firefox in the mean time as a first step. 

Cheers
Chipppy
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:56:30 pm »
If you used the torrents, this problem would be non-existant.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:41:14 pm »
How do I use the torrents?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:04:17 pm »
If needed install a bittorrent client like uTorrent for instance (Kubuntu already has KTorrent standard included), and click one of the "Official Torrents" links on the Mirrors page in the wiki.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:52:45 am »
seriously, man, you need to get a much better internet connection at home!

As Zaerc says, ALWAYS use the torrents to download:
1. It downloads in blocks from multiple clients getting the best download speed
2. It checksum's every block for corruptions as it goes and redownloads if necessary (http/ftp are limited to TCP error detection/correction so it isn't uncommon for a corruption in a very large download)
3. Torrent can be stopped and started at will, no issue with restarting a download from where you left off.
4. Recommend Vuze - Azureus for XP
5. At 56k it will take a very long time to download!
6. If necessary I can burn you a copy and mail it to you - but first, consider upgrading your connection!!

Crawtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:03:31 am »
Hi Chippy
where abouts are you ???

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:30 am »
Thanks for the help.  To answer a few question in the above
I am in Western Australia. 
My home connection is 512k but limited to a max of 2 GB download per month (welcome to crappy Aussie ISP's that cost $35 per month)
I am using my work computer for the download to get over the download limt issue.
My work down load rate is 56kbs (note this is download rate not connection speed)  my burst is 1Mbs.  So the download under firefox is takeing a couple of days.  I am limited by the satellite connection bandwidth.

I shall try to download Azureus and install and see if I can get a beter download rate.

Thanks again for all the help people.

Cheers
chipppy