Author Topic: Pluto and ADSL  (Read 3420 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and ADSL
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:01:33 am »
I've recently swapped over from a cable internet connection to DSL.

I successfully setup the DSL connection by running ‘pppoeconf’. After configuration, I can start the connection by running ‘pon dsl-provider’. This allows the core to access the net (I can ping www.google.com, etc).

My first problem was that because of the swap, my internet interface is ppp0 and not eth0 like it used to be (LAN interface is still eth1). Obviously this broke internet sharing for the PCs on the network. I solved this by following the instructions in another post and changing an entry in the database according to:

“On the Core, in the pluto_main database, in the Device_DeviceData table there's an entry with FK_DeviceData=32:
It's value can be found with this SQL statement:
SELECT IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData WHERE FK_DeviceData=32;

It's format is a little less intuitive, but the general idea is that it follows this format: <external interface>,<data>|<internal interface>,<data>.”

The <external interface> was eth0, so I changed it to ppp0, and now after a reboot, providing I run ‘pon dsl-provider’ to establish the DSL connection, computers on the LAN can access the internet.

My problem now is how to make the DSL link connect automatically on boot (before pluto tries to update itself would be nice too).

Running ‘pppoeconf’ modifies /etc/network/interfaces and adds the following to bring up the connection at boot:
Code: [Select]
auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

Pluto overwrites this file, and thus the DSL link isn’t started at boot and requires me to run ‘pon dsl-provider’.

How should I configure Pluto to bring my DSL connection up at boot time?

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and ADSL
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:21:10 am »
Hi Kent

here is a dirty trick I use to hack my network config.

You need to modify the file /usr/pluto/bin/Network_Setup.sh, that is the one that on startup fetches network config from mysql tables and writes down  the /etc/network/interfaces file.

This scritp stops network services, modifies interfaces file, then restart network services.

Just before the line where it re-enables network add a line that replaces freshly written interfaces file with the one you like (and that you have already prepared and saved somewhere).

It's dirty but it works.

Pay attention on Pluto version updates, because this process updates also all startup script so you have to re-apply the above explained "patch".

HTH
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and ADSL
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:19:36 pm »
Thanks for the pointer. Instead of overwriting the file completely, I added the following just before it re-enables networking (just before /etc/init.d/networking start):

Code: [Select]
IfConf="auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
    provider dsl-provider
    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
"
echo "$IfConf" >>"$File"

However, I assume that this script will be overwritten at the next upgrade.

I remember reading in a previous post that Radu was going to be integrating ADSL support. Is this still on the list of things to do?

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and ADSL
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:34:13 pm »
Quote from: "CaCtus491"
T....
I remember reading in a previous post that Radu was going to be integrating ADSL support. Is this still on the list of things to do?

Cheers,
-Kent

It's assigned to features - maybe yes, maybe not in near future...

http://plutohome.com/support/mantis/view.php?id=787

I need those features too.....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and ADSL
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:27:54 am »
Hi all

Another temporary solution may be to use some tools (or write down some sql statements) to modify mysql tables, so no need to tweak Network_startup.sh.

Surely it is a more elegant patch, but I'm too noob with mysql to try.

The ideal solution (and some time ago there were some discussion about) would be making network config fully manageable via admin site.

In this way one could add/delete/modify network config in a stable way without bothering with script update.

Regards
Marco