Author Topic: Which LMCE to download  (Read 1831 times)

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Which LMCE to download
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:52:33 pm »
Which LMCE is best to download and what is the difference.

I can download anyamount of data so the file size is not an issue here.  I am new and building a Hybrid from scratch.  This will also be my first Linux project so I an trying to eliminate as many traps as possible at the from end to try and make it as good experience as possible for my first time.

Which one is best to download out of the DVD versions
DVD or DVD-DL and what is the difference?

What does the *****-rc1 *****-rc2 mean?  Is the two files (part A and part B) and therefroe 2 DVD's that I need to create? 
Or is it two different versions?  If yes then which would be the best for me to use?
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

'Cry wolf and let slip the dogs of war'

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Which LMCE to download
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »
Chipppy

Download the DVD (the DL is just for upgrades and for the demo video, etc) I would stick with i386 not AMD64 - anecdotally it is more stable and you get little extra performance from 64bit.

Use the Torrent to download as it will ensure data integrity as it goes - that is important.
Use MD5sum to check the download is good.
Burn at the slowest possible speed!!!
Use an ISO burner (eg PowerISO) don't just burn the .iso to a disk... you are using the .iso as an image to create a disk, you don't just want to put the iso on a disk as a file, that is different.

RC2 means Release Candidate 2 - which is the somewhat mysnomic final version! That is all you need.

Concentrate on getting compatible hardware as this is the most important thing for a smooth experience. eg nVidia 6200-7300 Later ones you will need to download the latest drivers from nVidia - look up Display Drivers in the wiki. Sound chip and NIC chip are the 2 other important things to look at.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:38:04 pm by colinjones »