Author Topic: web orbiter  (Read 3791 times)

compaqpresario

• Veteran
    • View Profile
web orbiter
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:25:54 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues with the web orbiter.  The orbiter is acting very erratic.  Very rarely it works well, other times it with freeze on a screen such as the floorplan etc.  Say i try to plane media, i have to click several times to select the MD or the home icon. If i get the media playing i will not be able to stop the media or even click home.  All it will do is refresh to the same page after every selection. The only thing i'm able to do it restart the core in order to use the web orbiter again, but it happens so frequently that it a frustrating battle.  Anybody know any solutions?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: web orbiter
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:23:40 am »
Use a real orbiter instead.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:22 am »
You could do what Zaerc said, or...

I have noticed the same when I tried the web orbiter. From my experience, it seems that you cannot click two times in the same place, you need to move the mouse a bit for the orbiter to register the click as a new click. Maybe you can try that?

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:55 pm »
Yes, I've seen the freeze. It's for this reason not practical to use full time. Often the freeze can only be fixed by killing and restarting the process in my experience.

compaqpresario

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »
ok, thanks guys. I thought it might have been an error of mine.  I guess i will move on to finding a cheap bluetooth orbiter.   

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:53:46 pm »
You can also try installing the Orbiter software on a Windows device. Click on the Orbiters link on the Login page.

PDAs can be used as orbiters, as well as a Nokia N800/N810, or a WebDT 366 (with my debian based orbiter distribution)

-Thom

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:46:19 pm »
You can also try installing the Orbiter software on a Windows device. Click on the Orbiters link on the Login page.

I run the standalone orbiter application on my laptop.  The setup instructions I used are here:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Control_LinuxMCE_using_a_Windows_device_as_an_Orbiter

HTH,
Alex