Author Topic: Orbiter Skins from the original version of Pluto.  (Read 6320 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Orbiter Skins from the original version of Pluto.
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:58:56 pm »
For some of you that may remember, PlutoHome started as a windows stack, and was ported to Linux with Version 2.

I have here from the archives a set of screenshots that show some of the skins that were available for version 1.0, as an example that Orbiter potentially can look a lot better than it does right now.

It can be found here, look, discuss.
http://www.localeconcept.com/pub/Pluto_Orbiter_Skins/

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter Skins from the original version of Pluto.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:35 pm »
Thom - shouldn't that mean that you can import these skins now? Aren't the Orbiter designer files the same?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:40:21 am »
enough stuff has changed underneath, that a lot won't make it over.

-Thom

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:50:40 am »
ive started watching your screencasts  i'd like to change the feel of the orbiter on my n800.  curious as to where to start.  whould i want to create a new variation?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 04:35:51 pm »
No.

Variations imply new device characteristics. What you want is a new skin.

Skins are not only bitmap replacements, but they can also contain designobj substitutions as well. This is mportant because not only are designobjs the individual pieces on a screen, they are the top level screen as well.

You need to watch all of the first set of screencasts before watching the skin screencasts because they build on each other.

-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 03:20:51 pm »
Since the topic of variations has come up, I'm curious as to how the variations work.  Specifically how does the core determine which variation to use?  Does it use SNMP or some protocol to determine what the device is?  My understanding is that we can add new variations, but can we drill even deeper and create device specific variations as opposed to just the generic PDA variation, etc.?

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:03 pm »
The original skins look nice. Especially screenshot of main screen with place to display weather info. I'd be nice to port them under LMCE. But as I understand clearly it's impossible.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:32 pm »
Variations are determined by Device Template. There is a device template for each kind of Orbiter, and for each orbiter template, there is a device data setting for the variation to use. Orbiter uses this information to render the appropriate UI for the device.

Device Variations should only be used for large scale differences, and should be used very sparingly, because do keep in mind, that if a variation is proposed, everyone should also design for that variation (because it will appear in Designer for everyone else too.)

Variations were originally intended to differentiate aspect ratios or specific hardware differences that were different enough to warrant an aspect ratio, as such we have the following variations:

* Standard Horizontal (3:4) .. for most devices, TV's, tablets, etc..
* Vertical (4:3)... for PDAs, or other devices that we hold vertically
* Symbian (Cell) for cell phones.
* V2 Standard Horizontal (16:9) .. for widescreen TVs running UI2.

I do believe we need ONE more variation for the wide-screened variants of tablets appearing, such as the 770/N800/N810, called Standard Horizontal (16:9)..but other than that, I see little need for changing this table once this has been added, unless somebody comes up with like..a pyramid shaped display or something. ;-)

You'll notice that with the Cisco 7970, there ISN'T a variation for it, why? because it's got a standard aspect ratio (it's basically a 320x200 display), so instead, a Skin with its own main menu and top designobjs was used (SmallUI).

-Thom

Darren404

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:56 am »
I have been watching the screen casts on this, I would love to help out with this once I get the hang of it.I agree the theme could look a lot better.  If anyone has any tips on learning how to make them other then the screen cast please let me know.

:)

My house runs Linux

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 04:21:26 pm »
I have been watching the screen casts on this, I would love to help out with this once I get the hang of it.I agree the theme could look a lot better.  If anyone has any tips on learning how to make them other then the screen cast please let me know.

from what i have watched of the screen casts so far, Thom does an excellent job at explaining things. I'm looking to jump into it next week while on vacation. installed Ha Designer yesterday to prepare.  maybe if  you have ideas of what you want to do, we can chat. Or if you get into it and really get stuck, you'll have specific questions to ask.

Darren404

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 09:09:54 am »
from what i have watched of the screen casts so far, Thom does an excellent job at explaining things. I'm looking to jump into it next week while on vacation. installed Ha Designer yesterday to prepare.  maybe if  you have ideas of what you want to do, we can chat. Or if you get into it and really get stuck, you'll have specific questions to ask.

Im still in the prep stage as well.  I have a few ideas on how i want them to look, but i imagine ill be messing around learning for a while.  I agree Thom`s work on the screencast is excellent.  I have been looking for a way to help and learn about the project.
Thanks for the offer, I know ill have some questions in the future.  Once I learn enough to make some cool themes lets chat or work on one theme idea that we like.

cheers
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:13:47 am by Darren404 »
My house runs Linux