Author Topic: MD always tries to boot as AMD64  (Read 9098 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
MD always tries to boot as AMD64
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »
hey guys, I now have 3 pc's successfully netbooting, however my fourth and last one keeps getting hung up after it announces itself to the router and starts diskless setup and dhcp setup. I looked on the admin page and noticed that this MD's image had was listed as AMD64, I changed this to i386 rebuilt the image reloaded router etc, rebooted and on the MD boot screen it still calls itself an AMD64 right before it says "stopping all MD's" "rebooting"
and it just keeps rebooting at this same spot. Is there something else that I need to do to get this MD to show up properly as an i386?
Thanks,
Krys

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MD always tries to boot as AMD64
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:49:03 pm »
Thats odd, if you manually changed the md in the admin to i386 instead of amd64, did update, then rebuild image ..... it should be using i386.

So how far does the md boot ?

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:39:48 am »
it gets to the part where it says

setup diskless
setup dhcp

then it just says stopping all md's rebooting, and then it reboots

there is a part during the boot where it clearly says AMD64 every time, even after I change it to i386 in the admin site
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:42:08 am by krys »

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:48:40 am »
I have the same issue.  I've updated the admin page and also gone into the template and changed it to read i386 and reloaded everything and still the MD boots as AMD.  In my case the MD Boots up and everything appear to run fine, just buggy.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 04:11:52 pm »
I wish that was the case, mine wont even boot. I noticed that it goes one step further than I thought, after it says configuring DHCP it says something about configuring NFS or something, then it reboots. It also says alot of stuff about USB that none of my other MD's say when booting. I am confident that the issue is the architecture mismatch I just dont know how to fix it since changing it on the admin page gets me no where.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:30:30 pm »
All that should be required to fix this (I had to do the same thing) is to change the arch line in the webadmin under Media Directors from amd64 to i386, and then click "Rebuild Image" This is all I had to do.

Hope it works for you.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:22:11 pm »
argh.. I hate when something is supposed to be that easy and it just doesnt work. I have tried this step multiple times letting it completely rebuild before powering up the MD and it always uses AMD64. I put i386 in the blank, click rebuild, wait till it gives me the ok, reload the router, fire up the MD and wham Archetecture type AMD64. crazy!!! Once the MD gets this far into a boot is there any way it could still be something like an unsupported NIC? I used to use the machine as my core so I cant imagine any other compatibility issues.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:33 pm »
 ???

The next couple of boots, watch for the IP address. Make sure it is not re-assigning the next one up. You may have to modify the file that reserves ip addresses, per MAC address.

If it is changing, follow the things in my old post here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6550.0

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:06:30 pm »
Also, just a silly point, but worth pointing out - when you put i386 in the architecture field, you are hitting Update before you hit rebuild aren't you?

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:15:36 pm »
yes, I have actually done it both ways just to check, I have also deleted the image and tried from scratch. Also i should note that once I change the field in the Admin site the architecture remains i386, even after closing the browser and reopening or restarting the core completely. The admin site has it listed and saved correctly, its just the MD that has AMD64 listed.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:27 pm »
When you say it remains i386 in the web site, you mean even after the rebuild and after rebooting the MD? The MD says AMD64 whereas the website is still saying i386?

If so, then it is i386 - the MD saying AMD64 during the boot is a furfy - it is just indicating that the hardware is 64 bit, however the image being sent to it is 32 bit and selects that mode when it starts.... sounds like you have a different problem.

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:14:55 am »
When you say it remains i386 in the web site, you mean even after the rebuild and after rebooting the MD? The MD says AMD64 whereas the website is still saying i386?

If so, then it is i386 - the MD saying AMD64 during the boot is a furfy - it is just indicating that the hardware is 64 bit, however the image being sent to it is 32 bit and selects that mode when it starts.... sounds like you have a different problem.

This is what I would suspect also.  I would suggest watching closely to the last messages on the screen before it reboots to figure out whats oopsing....

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 04:18:22 pm »
ok I will pay very close attention tonight when I get home, I really want this box to boot since it is going to be my main one in my home theater room. I might even try and take a video to give you guys something to go off of.
Thanks,
Krys

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 04:29:01 pm »

Would this make sense if the hardware is not 64 bit?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:47 pm »
Not really, the hardware would need to be 64 bit Intel or AMD (doesn't have to be AMD, that's just what it calls it cos AMD got there first!) What CPU are you using that isn't 64 bit??