Author Topic: ScreenSaver repeats constantly the same images  (Read 3853 times)

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
ScreenSaver repeats constantly the same images
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:39 am »
I've been expirience an anoying ScreenSaver behavior which is the constant repetion of images.

The ScreenSaver repeats the same two images for about 5 times and then elects another two and keeps doing this.

In the past this was not the behavior, it started to do this when when I re-organized my pictures into a diferent folder structure. Although I've already tried to put back the pictures as they were but with no luck.

I getting the felling i've one of the great features of LMCE.

Best Regards

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ScreenSaver repeats constantly the same images
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:22:25 pm »
Maybe it got stuck on a bad image or something...

Try logging into the admin web page, going to Files & Media -> Screensaver

Are you running the Flickr script ?  The default path for the Flickr images is '/home/public/data/pictures/flickr/'

if you are, disable flickr, check the path, and re-enable, maybe click remove too to clear out the images

When you moved the files, did you do them as root ? maybe the script is running as the linuxmce user and cannot read the pictures

check the user / perms on the dir that the screensaver is set to

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »
This was an old bug of LMCE when the images were too large. It was fixed in 0710RC2 (and possibly earlier) by having the screen saver automatically rescale the images on demand. Assuming you are using 0710RC2 so I'm guessing that moving the images has confused the process of grabbing and rescaling them.

The usual mistake that people make when moving media is to do it manually rather than using the web admin - this causes problems as the meta data stored for the images (including the flag that marks them as screen saver images) is stored in the database and in an .id3 file with the actual picture. You may now have multiple entries for the same picture in two different locations.

Can you describe where you moved the files from and to? Was it just all from one folder to another, or more complex than that? If it was just a bulk move from one place to another then it should be fairly easy to un-mess-up the database! Grab all the pics and move them to a temporary location that LMCE isn't scanning for media. Delete all the .id3 and .tnj files related to them in all the locations that the pics were ever in. Now in the web admin, go to the media file sync menu - check the check box that shows files missing from disk. Now browse to each folder that the pics were ever in (where you moved them from and to) and it will display the "missing" files that it has in its database but can't find on disk for each folder you go into. Use the option to delete these entries from the database. If there's a lot then this can be laborious, but make sure you delete them all.

Once complete, you can use the resynchronise button to sync the whole Pictures folder. Now move the files back from the temporary location to where you want them. Do another resync of that folder to scan them back into LMCE. Now remark them as screen saver images. In the screen saver menu you can now hit reload the screen saver and that should fix it up.

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:34:13 pm »
Assuming you are using 0710RC2 ...
Yes it is 0710RC2.

The usual mistake that people make when moving media is to do it manually rather than using the web admin ...
Unfortunatly I'm (was) included on that group of people  :-\

Can you describe where you moved the files from and to? Was it just all from one folder to another, or more complex than that? If it was just a bulk move from one place to another then it should be fairly easy to un-mess-up the database! Grab all the pics and move them to a temporary location that LMCE isn't scanning for media. Delete all the .id3 and .tnj files related to them in all the locations that the pics were ever in. Now in the web admin, go to the media file sync menu - check the check box that shows files missing from disk. Now browse to each folder that the pics were ever in (where you moved them from and to) and it will display the "missing" files that it has in its database but can't find on disk for each folder you go into. Use the option to delete these entries from the database. If there's a lot then this can be laborious, but make sure you delete them all.

Yes it was a Bulk move although after the execution of your action plan the issue continued the same.

Can you please tell me which are the mysql tables where this information is stored? Cann't I simply delete the pictures screensaver records by hand?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:34 pm »
No, editing the database directly will almost certainly break it (all the PKs and FKs must match to relate one table to another) and in any case, if you deleted all those entries it indicated as files missing from disk then it has already deleted all the entries in the database, and then recreated them when you moved the files back. I can only assume that it is a different problem then... no idea what.

You could just the pss log in /var/log/pluto/##_LaunchPhoto_Screen_Saver.sh.log where ## is the device number (24 on my core)

It should be indicating that photos are too large and downscaling them for each picture that comes up... beyond that I do not know anything more about the mechanism....

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ScreenSaver repeats constantly the same images [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:44:21 pm »
Hello,
I solve it, using the posted hints I found on the File table of pluto_media database several entries of my photos. All path name were wrong except one.
All I have to do was to remove all records with wrong path values and left the right ones untouched.

I'm having nice experience with the screensaver... again.

Thanks to all