Author Topic: I need a plug and play PCI sound card, Recommendations?  (Read 2304 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I need a plug and play PCI sound card, Recommendations?
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:41 pm »
all I need is 2ch or line out for listening to music (the motherboard has none), i prefer it not to be fancy, I just want it to plug and play. I checked the wiki but there were only a few listed and almost all of them had some issues or were 5.1ch etc... I would love some recommendations that you have experience with.
Thanks,
Krys

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: I need a plug and play PCI sound card, Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:22:28 pm »
 ;D

I have 3 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118103
It is plug and play, and has an optical output, which is recognized by the AV Wizard. I see from your post about the "FREE" server you got, that you don't need anything more than 2 channels, but the option is there, and fully plug and play.

Incidently, I just got a HP Proliant Single CPU (dual core) Xeon 2.8GHz machine form the company I work for that I have been using as a core. It has 2.5G of ram, and I removed the dual 36G disks, and put in a 500G SATA drive and card. It works well, and also needed a sound card, but I just happened to have one of the above, still in a box, so after finding a PCI Nvida card, now I use it as a hybrid. But most of the time it is running without "Start Media Station" checked, but when I need to watch TV down in the basement, it works well as an MD. This particular server is very quiet, and has an additional socket for another cpu, just got to find one on ebay.

Regards,

Seth

".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: I need a plug and play PCI sound card, Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:42:08 pm »
YES! Just what I needed to hear, placed my order and cant wait to test it out. I like the optical out also. Thanks!