Author Topic: Any VPN experiences out there?  (Read 1306 times)

tmoore

Any VPN experiences out there?
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:58:11 pm »
I'd like to set up a VPN server on my core so that I can access my files remotely.  Right now, I'm most interested in just accessing documents securely, but it could be good to stream audio, use VNC and maybe print remotely, too.  I know I can set up port forwarding, but I'd need to open up a bunch of ports.  The more ports that are open, the higher the security risk.  I'd be more comfortable just allowing a VPN to be set up, which would allow any traffic through securely.  Also, VPN software such as OpenVPN has been designed to face the public Internet, so I'd expect it to hold up better to attacks than software designed primarily for LANs.

Does anyone have any experiences of setting up something like OpenVPN on an LMCE core?  Before I have a go myself, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Any VPN experiences out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:15:33 am »
You could just tunnel with ssh.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:22:39 am »
I use ipsec.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:29 pm »
Hi,

I'm also interested in this one.... I'd be more than happy if I can get clearer picture of differences. Currently it seem at least three options (I'll put my comments out of my newbie knowledge - hopefully more experienced will correct me) :
- ssh tunneling : pros: easy to setup, only one port open     cons: weird access to files only through core, hard to get to local machines (samba shares,printing)

- IPsec (AFAIK true secure solution, but takes more computing resources - am I wrong?

- OpenVPN - this one attracts me most, but don't know much about it. It seems like you connect virtually to LAN from remote localtion, so all accesses are much easier to handle...

I'd be glad of some further discussion on this matter... I guess we're all about secure connection from external locations... This is one of the major feature being announced on HP SmartMedia demo movies :

http://www.youtube.com/user/hpmediasmart

I guess with some setup steps, we can be quite close to similar functionality under LMCE too....

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:00:06 am »
I use openvpn on a few boxes, but not on my lmce setup (not yet anyhow)... it should install really easy and there is a windows client and osx client....

Speed and reliability is good.

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:21:43 am »
openvpn is neat, I've used it from my Linux computer to connect to my parents's computer and my brother's computer overseas.  Also from my Windows (work) laptop to do the same thing, as well as connect to my old Mythtv server.

Much easier now with the GUI.  The key generation is the hardeest bit, but you just follow the instructions and it is OK.

From there TightVNC to get to the desktop on Linux or Windows or UNIX (don't know about Mac but more than likely).

zug

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • High Tech Pad
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:20 pm »
I use openvpn. It is brilliant!
I have used IPsec (openswan) a few times and it's a complete nightmare! Although it is very stable when it's working, it can be such a pain to setup.
Z-Wave,  Peripherals, Licenced Media Directors and Cores now available with European-wide Delivery at www.hightechpad.com.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »
Hi,

thanks for responses so far... I guess VPN is a choice at the moment. Can anyone devote few moments to describe basics of setiing up VPN under LMCE on Wiki ?

I guess it would be really helpful to secure our LMCE installations...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.