Author Topic: not able to install with Nvidia Geforce 8200  (Read 2513 times)

nguyenst

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
not able to install with Nvidia Geforce 8200
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:17:10 pm »

I can not get pass the first screen once the DVD boots up.  I can run memory test with no problem.  It just when I pick option to start the install, my screen goes black.  I keep waiting for it to come back but it never does.  Is my video card not supported?

I have this motherboard :  Asus M3N78-VM AM2+

I would appreciate any help.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: not able to install with Nvidia Geforce 8200
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:29 am »
use the cd's and the alternative build.  i used an 8200 chipset that works fine after the alternative install and nvidia drivers.  there is a wiki out ther for a msi K9N2GM-FIH that should help you through the process

nguyenst

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:39:16 pm »
thanks for the tip..

Here's my result:

Since the install set does not support this video card correctly, it was necessary to use the "text install" method to install without using the GUI.  Installing the latest and greatest Nvidia drivers did not help to get you into the KDE though.

After numerous attemps, it turns out that the "vesa" driver worked perfectly.  I just had to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf  and replace "nvidia" with "vesa" and I was good to go.   The other thing I have to get working before I can install LinuxMCE is to get the system to recognize my onboard NIC and sound.

I will update this thread with my findings so others with the ASUS M3N78-VM board can benefit.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:34:05 pm »
you might find that sound works fine after the LMCE install.

My NIC doesnt work in 710  flat out.  mine is an nvidia chip. later kernels support it. think it works in 804 and 810. i just threw in another cheap gigabit card until newer versions of lmce are available.