Author Topic: Connection of PVR and hybrid PC  (Read 2124 times)

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Connection of PVR and hybrid PC
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:54:28 am »
Hello,
I currently have my directv HD pvr hooked up to the component inputs of my tv.  I have been looking at capture card options for setting up a hybrid PC, and there doesn't seem to be any with hdmi or component inputs, only s-video.  So to maintain HD video to my HDTV, it appears I will need to leave the component cables hooked from my PVR to my tv, and use the additional s-video from the PVR to feed the capture card on the hybrid PC?  If so, this means if I want to see the hybrid PC video, I would need to hook it to a separate input on my TV, and would only see SD video from my PVR from the hybrid PC video side of things. 

Are there any "HD" capable capture cards compatible with linuxMCE, to enable me to hook my PVR to it on the hybrid PC and maintain HD quality visuals out of the video card of the hybrid PC (kind of functioning as a HD pass-through)?  This would enable me to use the existing input on my AV receiver and not have to use an additional one (which I'm not sure I have).  The only thing I see is the HD PVR at http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html, but this is not expicitly listed as supported on the linux MCE hardware page.

Any advice is  much appreciated

Thanks

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Connection of PVR and hybrid PC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:21:53 pm »
We do not have a device template for the HD PVR ,and the linux driver is still very early in development, it only recently started working on a most basic level.

Once we do, we will be able to support the HD PVR as a capture device.

Until then, you can use the A/V switching capabilities of LinuxMCE to switch the inputs on your TV and amplifier to use the box and TV and amplifier directly, while allowing keypresses on your remote to go directly to the box.

-Thom

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:35 am »
It is great to hear the hd-pvr will eventually be supported.

That last sentence threw me a bit.  If I allow linuxMCE to switch inputs to use the box (I assume you meant my pvr) and tv and amplifier directly, how would I command linuxMCE to switch back later to seeing the hybrid pc output, if my remote commands are now going directly to the pvr box?  Maybe there is a dedicated button on the remote for this (maybe on the Fiire one), that can be pushed and have the hybrid PC switch the amplifier/tv back to use the hybrid pc outputs?

Please excuse my ignorance, perhaps once I get it up working and get familiar with the interface it will become clear  (getting ready to buy some hardware).

Dave

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:32:04 pm »
please exduse me, am'typing on my orbiter keyboard...so will be brief.....

basically, linuxmce can control your av gear.... attach infra red or rs-232 cables to your av gear, and describe the gear to linuxmce, as in how many inputs, how they are connected, etf...  andthen you tell linuxmce each command your av devices cqn do, such as how to change volume or channel, for ir this means you'pearn the remote, if we do not already have codes.....

then, you will see your av  devices appear in the media menu, and can then select them. If you have connected them to a tuner card, they will initially show through the tuner card, so  that the menu can be overlaid over top...you can then select Direct A/V from the menu, to make LinuxMCE switch inputs on your TV and amplifier to show the direct feed.... any button presses on an orbiter or remote that require interaction, will cause LinuxMCE to switch its menu back...

this is automatically available, if you have your hardware set up correctly.

-Thom

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:57:38 am »
I see the light now.  This is very intriguing, just keeps getting better.

Thanks