I try to post my experiences with the alpha1:
1) System: Tyan N6650W w/Nforce3600pro. Single Opteron 2352, 4gb RAMDDR2-667reg, dual GB-NIC. ATI 2600XT-256. Install as Core (ev. hybrid). Second: Diskless MD with Nvidia 630a chipset, 2GB RAM, Athlon Be2350.
2) Installation of 8.10 without problems.
But the next 2 days...
- dire problems with networking, because the core should directly connect via PPPOE to the internet. With many work (not a newbie, but no expert either), I got all installed and configured. It would be a great improvement for me, if the alpha/beta-versions of LMCE don't touch the external networking at all: configuring network before installing LMCE is obligatory to get the updates and drivers, configuring dhcp and eth1 would be enough
- Second problem with networking: the core/router does not route...
getting access from other PCs of the network (non-MD, IP via dhcp of the core) to the internet on eth0/ppp0 was possible after using:
echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -a 192.168.80.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
I have to do this every bootup, so can that be fixed permanently? Or have I done st unusual?
- The problems with ATI were dire and are so far unsolved: when using fglrx, the systems boots into blank screen without any reaction (keyboard dead, etc). Using radeon or vesa without problems. So I use currently radeon+UI1.
- I still have problems with the diskless boot of the MD. I did as written in the Wiki (rebuild i386, quickreload). MD starts PXE-booting, but tells something about missing NFS:
"running /scrips/nfs-premount" -> "mount call failed: 13" -> "retrying ..." - many times until taking busybox. Any ideas?
Aside from these problems, the systems seems to be running fine. I'll begin the configuration the next days.
I wish you a happy new year! - and many thanks for the work you do!