Author Topic: Some dvd drives better than others?  (Read 2902 times)

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Some dvd drives better than others?
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:31 am »
Hello,
I'm putting together a hybrid and media director system, and am wondering what brand of dvd drives to get, or whether it matters.  Are there particular models of dvd drives which are supported or unsupported by linuxmce?  Also, would it be worth it at this time to get a blu-ray drive?  Is there linuxmce support for blu-ray drives?

Thanks

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Some dvd drives better than others?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:10:47 am »
Most, if not all internal drive will work without a hitch.  Blue ray technology is not working very well in linux.  I would say don't get one.  Right now, it's possible to watch some blue ray movies, but it is a huge hassle.  You have to rip them (which is an ordeal) and then you can watch them.  Not to mention that a ripped blueray could take up to 50GB uncompressed. 

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:58:33 am »
Ok I'll just go with dvd drives then, thanks

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 05:22:15 pm »
If you are buying a drive, look for a quiet one, and if you want to watch movies from another region, get one that can have its firmware changed to RPC1.

I bought a pioneer dvr-216 which gets good reviews in the forums at silentpcreview.com

Not fully operational yet as have had DVB tuner issues so these have been the priority.

More info on the "dvd region" sticky in these forums.