Author Topic: Voicemail Clarification  (Read 2937 times)

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Voicemail Clarification
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:28:04 pm »
Hello All,

When you add users to LinuxMCE, they get an intercom/virtual extension (i.e. 301, 302, 303, etc) and they get there own voicemail box. The users intercom/virtual extension is NOT added to FreePBX.

When you add a hard-phone/soft-phone to LinuxMCE, it creates an extension which is registered with FreePBX, which now has it's own voicemail box (that has a message waiting light, depending on the phone you use).

So, there are two locations to where voicemails can go:

1) To the users intercom/virtual extension (i.e. 301, 302, 303, etc.) and to be accessed via the web-admin
2) To the hard-phone/soft-phone (to be accessed via the "messages" button on the phone)

Is there a way to associate a hard-phone/soft-phone to a user so that the voicemail that is accessed via the web-admin would be the same that is accessed via the soft-phone/hard-phone messages button (and vice versa)? If you've accomplished this or have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

-D

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Voicemail Clarification
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:55 am »
Hello All,

When you add users to LinuxMCE, they get an intercom/virtual extension (i.e. 301, 302, 303, etc) and they get there own voicemail box. The users intercom/virtual extension is NOT added to FreePBX.

When you add a hard-phone/soft-phone to LinuxMCE, it creates an extension which is registered with FreePBX, which now has it's own voicemail box (that has a message waiting light, depending on the phone you use).

So, there are two locations to where voicemails can go:

1) To the users intercom/virtual extension (i.e. 301, 302, 303, etc.) and to be accessed via the web-admin
2) To the hard-phone/soft-phone (to be accessed via the "messages" button on the phone)

Is there a way to associate a hard-phone/soft-phone to a user so that the voicemail that is accessed via the web-admin would be the same that is accessed via the soft-phone/hard-phone messages button (and vice versa)? If you've accomplished this or have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

-D
In short, you can always call certain extension (for instance *97) for retrieving voicemails from hardphones....I think it's cleaner to use users, as you can setup call routing features from web-admin - but that's just my personal choice...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Voicemail Clarification
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:24:14 am »
In short, you can always call certain extension (for instance *97) for retrieving voicemails from hardphones....I think it's cleaner to use users, as you can setup call routing features from web-admin - but that's just my personal choice...

Regards,

Bulek.

Hello Bulek,

Thanks for your response. Is there a way to associate a hardphone with a users extension in order for the users extension-voicemail can be checked from the hardphone messages button (via *97 on the phone)? So, for example, if my user extension is 303 and I can check a message from the web-admin, I can check the same message from the messages button on the phone.

One way I was thinking would be just to change the hardphone extension in freepbx to the users virtual extension. Therefore, when I push the hardphone message button, it will play the users messages. However, I don't know if that will brake anything...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:27:21 am by dlewis »