Author Topic: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366  (Read 28344 times)

Domodude

Re: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2009, 12:03:10 am »
that message is normal, there is no 8042 AT keyboard controller on that unit.

You need to connect a keyboard, and when you see the splash a second time, hit ctrl-alt-T to access a terminal.

-Thom

The webdt stops responding immediately after the first splash, with the progress bar at 0%. ctrl-alt-t does not work -- I never get to ratpoison. :-(

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:48 am »
then you have a hardware failure.

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:01 am »
then you have a hardware failure.

>:(   Any hint as to where this problem might be? Could it be network card at this stage? I started this whole reinstall due to network problems in the first place...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2009, 12:55:26 am »
do not know. try attaching the keyboard at first, and continually pressing esc while booting to see if you can get a prompt, where you can remove the splash options from boot, as well as quiet, so you can see what kernel error may be causing the problem.

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 12:42:47 pm »
try attaching the keyboard at first, and continually pressing esc while booting to see if you can get a prompt, where you can remove the splash options from boot, as well as quiet, so you can see what kernel error may be causing the problem.
That got me a nice idea of what is going on: there is a "harddisk" problem, I get the suggestion to run e2fsk! Now doesn't the install write an image on the flash memory? How is this possible?
I did do an md5sum on the download which was correct. I guess there could be an error in the image transfer to the usb stick (using dd), but the first phase of install had no problems. I could perhaps try an e2fsck on the flash disk. Is there any way to do that, at this stage of the install?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2009, 12:52:31 pm »
in theory, yeah. but I can't tell you off the top of my head what that would be, i've just gotten off the tail end of a 20 hour hacking session to add user feedback to the launch manager, and I need some sleep.

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2009, 08:10:42 pm »
in theory, yeah. but I can't tell you off the top of my head what that would be, i've just gotten off the tail end of a 20 hour hacking session to add user feedback to the launch manager, and I need some sleep.

-Thom

I got a kernel panic, when mounting the device read-only and when mounting it rw, so not possibility here. I will try the single user mode but I'm not holding my breath... If your brain has cleared up a bit when you read this, I'd appreciate any pointers of course!  ;)

Domodude

« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2009, 10:13:51 pm »

-Thom

I got a kernel panic, when mounting the device read-only and when mounting it rw, so not possibility here. I will try the single user mode but I'm not holding my breath... If your brain has cleared up a bit when you read this, I'd appreciate any pointers of course!  ;)

This did not really get me anywhere, but I did a re-write of the USB stick. The install froze a bit later, so there is progress. I am not sure now of the usb stick. Trying for a third time. Is there a way to make sure the usb stick contents are ok, for example with md5sum?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2010, 11:17:33 am »
If you want to donate some money to TSCHAK either use the paypal button on the homepage (goes straight to TSCHAK's account) or buy the image from tkmedia. If not, here is the new gamma image download location: http://www.linuxmce.org/webpad/

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation