Author Topic: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366  (Read 73452 times)

system error101

• View Profile
Re: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2009, 08:45:34 pm »
Here is how my network is setup: I have my computers and all wireless devices connected to a router and the router is connected to the ISP box or the switch if thats what your talking about.

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2009, 08:53:35 pm »
Listen mate, ppl are here to help, not to teach.
You dint provide enough information.
Basiccly, You have to have 2 NICs in You LMCE, one is external, connects to the switch or the router which goes to the internet
Other NIC is internal, which You connect to the switch and ALL of stuff You wish to have in LMCE.
So, You can connect Your external NIC directly tzo the router, place siwthc in the internal network and attach WAP to it. then You can try to load WebDT.
Seriously, read what i gave You, YOu will get an idea why it is done that way: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Settings

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2009, 11:34:13 pm »
You really need to read the link he gave you.

Also, it would be highly advisable to understand basic networking terminology, otherwise you will get mixed up as to which device is which. You seem to have your terms the wrong way around. You can't connect your "computers and all wireless devices" to a router. A router routes traffic from one network to another, it doesn't connect many devices together, that is a switch.

Some of these devices are commonly combined into a single box, which can confuse matters slightly. For instance, it is common to combine an ADSL router with a switch, so that it routes traffic between the public Internet and your internal network (a router function), AND provides, say, 4 switch ports to connect multiple devices to (the switching function). ADSL broadband devices are usually routers, whereas cable broadband devices are commonly only bridge devices, and need something else to provide the standalone routing function (a LMCE core can do this for you).

If the device you are describing above is a wireless AP, then I would guess it also has a built in switch functionality and 4 switch ports. This means it combines the functions of an AP and switch, but probably not a router as well. First step, find out exactly what equipment you do have. Second, read that article on Network Setup and follow it.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2009, 09:22:54 am »
while my TabletCFG configures the network files correctly,

The Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA card present in the 366 does NOT do WPA correctly. Hari spent weeks beating it with a stick trying to graft wpa patches onto the driver and firmware to no avail...

You'll need to use WEP for the tablets, I am so sorry...

You could replace the card in the unit with another one, if you wanted.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2009, 11:17:50 am »
e.g. the sr-71c from ubiquiti

But you might want to look for a cheaper card thats supported in linux and has mmcx connectors.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »
Okay... So I finally managed to "install" the pad orbiter image on my WebDT 366. However, after I reboot it I ran yet into another problem... After the reboot, it asked me for my ESSID and KEY. The ESSID to my knowledge is whatever the router is named and according to my router page, my routers SSID is "linksys". And my key is a 16 digit hex key. My wireless network is WEP encrypted. I tried so many different methods and none seem to work. Once I entered the SSID and KEY it would go to the splash screen and sit there... This happened with every method. I even disabled my wireless protection and it still just say there... Any idea on what I may be doing wrong???

With the VERY limited info you're providing I can give you a couple of tips that may or may not help you.

First, I notice you refer to your wireless device as a "router".  It is extremely important that the DHCP server in your Linksys device is turned off if it is in fact a router and not an access point.  LMCE is and must be the DHCP server on that network.  It is possible to set up a wireless router to act as a gateway only and I can help you do that if you need to.

Second, the SSID and WEP keys are case sensitive when setting up your WebPad.  This is a common error for people setting them up so make sure you have the case correct when entering these values.

If you give more specific info about your setup, we could help more.  i.e. list all devices including home pc's and how they're connected.

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2009, 05:40:43 pm »
Hello,

does anyone know how to access a console on a WebDT with Padorbiter, using a keyboard on the WebDT itself?

Normally I would connect remotely via SSH, but now my WebDTs don't connect to the wireless network anymore (my fault, new router using "wep transitionnal". It works 1 time out of 20 tries, so it must be somehow fixable) and I would like to access a console for further troubleshooting.

Display 8 (CTRL+ALT+8) has lost of debug information, but it still won't let me access a console prompt, neither does display 1.

Any ideas?

Jean

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »
when you see the progress bar display, hit control-alt-T

-Thom

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2009, 07:46:08 am »
Thom,

this did not work for me (I did it several time during the progress bar that appears while booting the tablet). Maybe I wasn't doing it at the right time? However in your other thread I saw you recommended ctrl + t, followed by c, once ratpoison is started, and that worked.

Thanks!

Jean

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2009, 11:08:00 pm »
OK!  Got my WebDT 366 properly backed up with Ghost.  Flashed my 4Gig USB with:
SUDO dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdc

Booted the WebDT 366 with the Flashed USB Stick and all installed properly.

I then got the wireless network setup screen and screwed it up! 

I don't yet have any wireless switches on my Core's Internal LAN.  My Windows Orbiter on my Vista Laptop accesses the core through my External LAN's Wireless Router, locating the core at 192.168.0.191 which is static and never changes.

Now, one way or another I need to access the WebDT 366 Orbiter's setup somehow to change the Network setup information. If I can tell the WebOrbiter to look for the core at 192.168.0.191 instead of 192.168.80.1 this should work.
If that isn't possible, then I need to install one of my extra wireless routers on the Core's Internal LAN as a switch ONLY, and since it will have a different SSID and WEP, I'll still need to access the WebOrbiter's network setup.

Can that be done or do I just install the wireless switch on the internal LAN, set it up, and bite the friggin bullet and reflash the 366?

Any suggestions?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2009, 11:10:10 pm »
trust me, do the latter. Just let LinuxMCE manage your network.

-Thom

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »
trust me, do the latter. Just let LinuxMCE manage your network.

-Thom

Got it!  And thanks for the continued help, 
Charles

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2009, 04:19:58 am »
Whew!  Blown Away!  This WebDT 366 PadOrbiter Really Rocks...

Thanks again and Great Work Thom

Best Regards,
Charles

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2009, 04:49:01 am »
You're welcome. When 0810 goes beta, I will do a build of PadOrbiter with the 0810 orbiter code, so you can use the new screens.

-Thom

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »
I have a dt366 from tkmedia...thnanks again.

But i'm curious.

According to the docs. the 366 comes in Two versions.

RAM -- 256 MB (GX533 version); 512 MB (LX800 version)

Do they both work with the image ?