Author Topic: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366  (Read 28172 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »
when you see the progress bar display, hit control-alt-T

-Thom

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2009, 07:46:08 am »
Thom,

this did not work for me (I did it several time during the progress bar that appears while booting the tablet). Maybe I wasn't doing it at the right time? However in your other thread I saw you recommended ctrl + t, followed by c, once ratpoison is started, and that worked.

Thanks!

Jean

Domodude

« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2009, 02:18:38 pm »
Thom, and Tim,
I think Thom mentioned a battery life of about 4 hours, but my WebDT366 runs out of juice in a matter of minutes (and I'm talking 5, not 50!). It has the external battery connected.
I'd just go ahead and buy replacement batteries, but this seems exceptionally short. Do you have any ideas on how to check for an underlying cause of this extremely short battery life?
Best regards,
Mark

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2009, 11:08:00 pm »
OK!  Got my WebDT 366 properly backed up with Ghost.  Flashed my 4Gig USB with:
SUDO dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdc

Booted the WebDT 366 with the Flashed USB Stick and all installed properly.

I then got the wireless network setup screen and screwed it up! 

I don't yet have any wireless switches on my Core's Internal LAN.  My Windows Orbiter on my Vista Laptop accesses the core through my External LAN's Wireless Router, locating the core at 192.168.0.191 which is static and never changes.

Now, one way or another I need to access the WebDT 366 Orbiter's setup somehow to change the Network setup information. If I can tell the WebOrbiter to look for the core at 192.168.0.191 instead of 192.168.80.1 this should work.
If that isn't possible, then I need to install one of my extra wireless routers on the Core's Internal LAN as a switch ONLY, and since it will have a different SSID and WEP, I'll still need to access the WebOrbiter's network setup.

Can that be done or do I just install the wireless switch on the internal LAN, set it up, and bite the friggin bullet and reflash the 366?

Any suggestions?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2009, 11:10:10 pm »
trust me, do the latter. Just let LinuxMCE manage your network.

-Thom

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »
trust me, do the latter. Just let LinuxMCE manage your network.

-Thom

Got it!  And thanks for the continued help, 
Charles

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2009, 04:19:58 am »
Whew!  Blown Away!  This WebDT 366 PadOrbiter Really Rocks...

Thanks again and Great Work Thom

Best Regards,
Charles

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2009, 04:49:01 am »
You're welcome. When 0810 goes beta, I will do a build of PadOrbiter with the 0810 orbiter code, so you can use the new screens.

-Thom

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »
I have a dt366 from tkmedia...thnanks again.

But i'm curious.

According to the docs. the 366 comes in Two versions.

RAM -- 256 MB (GX533 version); 512 MB (LX800 version)

Do they both work with the image ?

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2009, 07:39:52 pm »
I know this has been discussed before and it would be a lot of work to extend this functionality to orbiters, but it would be great to be able to listen to voicemails directly on the WebDT and to play music through the device.  I'd really like to use this device as a phone similar to how we can with MD's.

Can someone explain in greater detail the difference between a MD having this functionality and an orbiter?  I'm not fully grasping how LinuxMCE knows the difference or really what the difference is between a MD and an orbiter beyond that MD's can playback media.  I'm also having a difficult time understanding why you wouldn't want to use an orbiter for media, especially now that we have such nice portable touch screen devices available at decent prices.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »
Marrandy: both will work with this image, provided there is at least 512 (binary) megabytes of flash on the device for storing the image.

los93sol: an Orbiter can have children. However, the media plugin will have to be modified to handle dealing with Orbiter itself. The trick is to modify the code for media plugin to route messages to any media player devices etc running on the orbiter.

You have a possible out here in that you can have multiple entertainment areas in a given room, and therefore can specify to route to them. You will need to shoehorn a launching mechanism onto the Orbiter to launch Xine Player, SimplePhone, etc. and make modifications to the Telecom Plugin, Media Plugin, etc. to know to route messages to them. This is the trick of it all, understanding that LinuxMCE is all about routing messages where they need to go.

It's more than possible, but you will need to do some serious exploring to pull it off, and you'll need to do some UI thinking in Designer to figure out how to present the more complex issues, such as answering phone calls on the orbiter, versus answering them in the room, etc. (Taking the selected room/EA into account provides a way to determine this.)

-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2009, 03:16:16 pm »
I wonder if this is something people would want to donate for, how many hours would you rate the job?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:29 pm »
since this is new territory, and a lot of subsystems involved, it's at least 100 hours of work.

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2009, 10:56:15 pm »
Hi Thom (and tkmedia?),

I kept having network problems, so I thought I'd re-install the webdt. So far though, it looks like I have bricked it  >:(

Hopefully I just did something wrong. Here's what I have done so far:

I used the gamma image, checked the CRC, dd'ed it on the USB.
The USB boots, and wipes the Webdt. The second part of the install starts, then ends in a penguin-picture that lasts forever. Keyboard is locked at that time. I made a picture of the last text message before the splash screen, it says:
11.615130     i8042.c: Can't read CTR while initializing i8042.

Any idea what might be going on here?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »
that message is normal, there is no 8042 AT keyboard controller on that unit.

You need to connect a keyboard, and when you see the splash a second time, hit ctrl-alt-T to access a terminal.

-Thom