Author Topic: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366  (Read 73456 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2009, 05:32:25 am »
Code: [Select]
cd Desktop

-Thom

mcreim

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2009, 08:03:10 pm »
Hi Thom,

first of all thank you for the image. I read the thread an manged to install MCE on my DT366.
I was wondering if it is possible to start the system without configuring the wifi-access?

I currently only have a WPA secured WLAN and as I read the Cisco-Card won't be able to use it. Since I don't plan to switch back to WEP with my WLAN I tried to simply cancel the configuration, but then the splashscreen stays "forever".

So, is there a way to get to the desktop without the wlan-config?

Thanks and greetings from germany
Michael

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:59 pm »
I'll let Thom confirm,  but my understanding is that the information needed to get past the initial splash screen needs to be downloaded from the core- hence the wireless configuration. 

I don't see why you couldn't use a wired pcmcia card (not sure which ones are supported) and boot everything off of that- certainly less portable with the cat 5 tether.

And, to my knowledge, there is no "desktop" in the sense of Kubuntu options menus, web browser, etc other than what is provided on LinuxMCE's orbiter UI1.  There was a question posted earlier about getting a web browser on these, but I think it's currently only on the "to-do" list.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
Unfortunately, not. Windows CE 5 Pro is a licensed piece of software.

-Thom

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:49 am »
Hello,

I just picked up a bunch of WebDT 366 to replace my Fujitsu touchpads. The WebDTs are much thinner, silent (no harddrive) and look sleek on i removed the rugged plastic edges!

In case any of you is as stupid as me and running the core with a different subnet than 192.168.80.x, then in order to get this to work you need to connect your tablet to the wifi network, then login via SSH using root/root, then edit the file /etc/hosts and replace 192.168.80.1 with the IP of your core, then reboot the tablet.

Thank you Thom for this great solution. I always knew it was wrong to run my orbiters under Windows CE on my Fujitsu tablets!

Jean

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2009, 05:03:59 am »
Hello,
did any of you find how to turn off the backlight of the LCD screen on these, when the orbiter goes dark?
I have had no luck with "xset dpms off" (backlight stays on). I'm wondering if this has to do with the video driver or if there is something else I could try?

I have several of these in my house now, but most of them get used rarely. It seems like a waste of power to have the backlight on 24/7. Also I have 2 of them in bedrooms, and the backlight is quite distracting in a dark room...

If someone knows  a command to turn off the backlisght, I could see if I could tie it to one of the buttons..

Jean

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2009, 05:14:43 am »
There isn't a way to do it. I've been studying data sheets for the NSC Geode graphics chip, and this is a function of the display panel. Unfortunately, I can't find a DDC data sheet for the given panel so that I can send a command to toggle off the backlight.. somebody else wana take a shot at it?

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2009, 05:23:59 am »
Do the tablets have an actual Sleep mode (S2RAM, rather than to disk)? That should turn off the backlight, and have the additional benfit of svaing much more power/battery life, without having to suspend to disk, which is pretty slow. It would make it practical to have a short Sleep timeout ask the wake up would be fast enough to allow during normal use....

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2009, 05:26:19 am »
I already implemented suspend to ram.

Just tap the power button.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2009, 05:48:28 am »
Oh, I thought that was suspend to disk! Whoops... So the delay in suspend and resume is not it copying memory, its just slow for some reason is going to sleep and waking? The little progress bar I interpretted as it copying memory to disk...

system error101

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2009, 07:56:41 pm »
Okay... So I finally managed to "install" the pad orbiter image on my WebDT 366. However, after I reboot it I ran yet into another problem... After the reboot, it asked me for my ESSID and KEY. The ESSID to my knowledge is whatever the router is named and according to my router page, my routers SSID is "linksys". And my key is a 16 digit hex key. My wireless network is WEP encrypted. I tried so many different methods and none seem to work. Once I entered the SSID and KEY it would go to the splash screen and sit there... This happened with every method. I even disabled my wireless protection and it still just say there... Any idea on what I may be doing wrong???

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2009, 07:59:21 pm »
Make sure You dont have MAC filtering turned on, like i did:)spent 4 hours going mad until i remembered i had MAC filtering turned on.
Also make sure You type ESSID EXACTLY, including capital and small letters.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2009, 08:01:44 pm »
It is also important that you set up the network precisely as needed by our FAQ.

(1) did you use two NICs?
(2) is the internal network 192.168.80.0/24 ?
(3) is the DCERouter reachable at 192.168.80.1?

If the answer to any of these questions is no, slap yourself for not following directions, change your setup to match, and the pad will magically boot up. :)

-Thom

system error101

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »
Okay... I had mac filtering on, but even after shutting that down. It still doesn't boot, so I'm guessing that it has something to do with my network set up. (SLAP)... I deserved that one. Anyways... I am a bit illiterate when it comes to network setup so I have no idea what NIC's are or how to make sure that my internal network is 192.168.80.0/24 or if my DCERouter is reachable at 192.168.80.1

I am trying to get this as perfect as possible since I will be setting up a similar unit at our church for easier media access.

Thanks for all the help :)

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2009, 08:39:06 pm »
Is Your WAP (Wireless Access Point) connected to a switch which is connected to Your core? IF not, put it LMCE internal network, shut off WAPs DHCP, let LMCE do DHCP and I am sure YOu will have a go with Your WebDT.
For a start, take a look here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Settings

P. S. NIC is Network Interface Card.