Author Topic: Converting Video output to component signal  (Read 2780 times)

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Converting Video output to component signal
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »
Hey guys,
Has anyone tried the VGA to component converters available on the market right now to hook their MD up to a TV using component cabling?  I'd rather use another connection type, but the layout of my home requires me to use component cabling.  Do they work with LMCE?

thanks

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Converting Video output to component signal
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:52 pm »
I use one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815117102.

I have it putting out 640x480 to a 27" TV, currently with svideo. I used to use it with the component outputs to my 42" projection TV.

One of the things I liked best about it, was there was no need to adjust Overscan. It has controls right on it, either by remote or directly on the unit to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical size on the screen. Very nice, and It remembers your settings on a reboot.

Not bad for under $100, but it is a little more expensive than a video card that may have Component dongle, but it also does not take up a slot in your HTPC, or generate any heat. It is USB powered, so you do lose a USB port, but that is its only drawback.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:13:03 pm »
I am currently using a DVI>HDMI cable and it works great.  I wouldn't have any reason to suspect VGA>Component would be any different.

LMCE doesn't detect cable types, only output/input types.  When you choose VGA/DVI for the output on your MD, you are then going to choose the resolution (1280x1024, 720p, etc.).  That is the signal/resolution pumped out that port.  As long as the TV input (HDMI, Component, whatever) can handle that resolution it will have no problem displaying it.  Your MD has no idea what type of connection is at the other end of the cable and it doesn't care.

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:58:54 pm »
Seth,

thanks for the assist.  I've been looking around for a device like this.  But what i found so far has been more expensive and without solid recommendations.

take care,

slow