Author Topic: I need some help with shell konsole  (Read 4703 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I need some help with shell konsole
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:10:02 am »
I am trying to set up the diskless image for one of my MD's that will not netboot. I have been trying to follow this wiki
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Unrecognized_NIC
The part I am having a problem with is after I add the line for my NIC module (e100), the wiki says to recreate the initial ramdisk and it says do Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
When I try to run this in shell I get this message

krys@dcerouter:/usr/pluto/bin$ Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
cp: cannot create regular file `/tftpboot/default/vmlinuz': Permission denied
/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh: line 6: mkinitramfs: command not found
/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh: line 15: /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default: Permission denied

so I tried to use the sudo command and got this

krys@dcerouter:/usr/pluto/bin$ sudo Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
[sudo] password for krys:
sudo: Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh: command not found

I dont have much experience with Linux obviously so if someone could point out my error here I would be grateful.

-Krys

mami

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help with shell konsole
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:45:36 am »
I thing you have to write: sudo ./Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh (when you are in right folder!)

/Mami

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:28:57 pm »
So this should be my input (in the right directory)    sudo ./Diskless_BuildDefaultImage

Can anyone confirm this for me, I am at work and wont be able to try it out till later tonight.
Thanks,
-Krys

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:35:31 pm »
 ;)
Well the problem is that user krys (you) does not have permissions to write to the /tftboot directory.
Whenever I do any type of maintenance that requires root powers, I simply do a:
Code: [Select]
sudo suNow you are root, and you won't be questioned about permissions, or files.
Now just remember, you are root, so be careful  ;D

Incidently, which nic are you setting up? I have just made a breakthrough last evening with the Realtek 8111B/8111C (r8168) driver. Turns out that the driver supplied by the Motherboard manufacturer was all I needed (Asus). http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6806.0, perhaps something there may help you in your travels.

Just curious. And remember, if you are root, be careful when doing stuff on the box, always double check what you are doing before hitting "Enter"  ;D

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:55:17 pm »
Seth,
so I can just type sudo su, right when I get into shell and it is applied throughout? or i need to do that before each command?

My NIC is an intel, i did some checking and my model number uses the e100 module that is already on my core (found this out after I built the module using that same wiki you used), apparently it just isn't in the right place for net booting an MD (so far as I have deduced). I did read your post and I am hopeful that you get that chipset for the video on that mobo figured out, that looks like a sweet deal. I do have a question for you about the HDMI on that mobo, does it output video and sound, or is it a video only?

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
 :D
To question 1, yes, sudo su is global, you only need to run it once, then just do all your commands, in that terminal session. Now if you exit that terminal or switch to another, you will have to run it again. The password it asks for is the one for the user issuing the command, for instance your password.

To question 2, I currently do not have anything that uses HDMI. But from reading some of nite_man's posts, using the latest ATI Catalyst driver, this looks very likely. I intend on using a DVI to Component video cable or an adapter with the ATI HD3200 video chipset, I currently am using an Nvidia 7200 GS on this MD, but I have need for that elsewhere, so I will get started on getting the ATI bits working this week yet.

I will post my findings, and howto after I get it done. And will post the completion here in the forums. So hang in there, I might be able to acquire a device (HDTV) to test the HDMI, but I don't want to say for sure yet. Look for the posts from nite_man, I think he has it sorted.

Regards,

Seth

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:25:34 am »
and so the saga continues...
I did the sudo su as Seth instructed me to do, this time after I typed the command there was a pause for about 10 sec then it dropped down a line and gave me another command propmt, so assuming that meant it worked I tried to boot the MD with the issed and it still has a kernel panic. Here are the last three lines on the MD when it tries to boot.

ipconfig: no devices to configure
/init: .: 1: Can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf
Kernel Panic - not synching: Attempted to kill init!

this looks similar to before but I can't really remember. Where would I check to make sure that the Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh worked properly and added the e100 module?

****edit
I just tried this with a different pc that uses the sky2 module and everything worked perfect so maybe e100 isnt the right module for the first pc

-Krys
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:00:49 am by krys »

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 02:08:06 pm »
 :-\
Have you put the module name in all the right places, here is what I did to get my new MD to work with the r8168 module, perhaps something in the below steps can help resolve your issue. Just replace  r8168 with your e100:

Specifically these particular lines from below:
vi /usr/pluto/diskless/<moon #>/etc/initramfs-tools/modules
added r8168 and saved

Code: [Select]
sudo su
cd /usr/src
unzip -qq /path/to/LinuxDrivers.zip
cd /usr/src/LinuxDrivers/LAN/r8168-8.003.00/r8168-8.003.00
make
cp src/r8168.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
mv /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko.not
depmod -a
/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
cp /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko /usr/pluto/diskless/<moon #>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net
vi /usr/pluto/diskless/<moon #>/etc/initramfs-tools/modules
added r8168 and saved
cd /usr/pluto/diskless
chroot <moon #>
mv /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko.not
depmod -a /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko
cd /boot
update-initramfs -uv
(scrolled up to verify the new module was added it was at the top of the output)
for S and G's ran depmod -a again
exit out of the chroot

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:11:20 pm by seth »

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »
I will try all that when I get home, all I had done for the e100 module was add it to the module list and do the build default image, supposedly after that it would do the initial net boot which it still hasnt done. I will just go through the entire process and see if it works.
Thanks,
-Krys