Currently I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate on my media centre pc (i know its over kill but it was a pressie for my bday). Its slow to start up and seems to lock up alot. I came across this website by chance really since I was goggling different Linux distributions. I'm very impressed with LinuxMCE and definitely want to give it a go. Before I do, I have a few questions id like to ask, and also this is the first time installing any kind of Linux based OS.
My system specs are as follows:
- ASUS M2NPV-VM
- AMD Athlon 64 3800+
- 2GB RAM
- 40GB primary HDD
- 500GB secondary HDD
- CD/DVD drvie
- USB IR transmitter that came with the windows media center remote
- Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000 tv tuner
- newbielink:http://"http://www.bgears.com/b-enspirer.html" [nonactive]
Im planning to install newbielink:http://"http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=729076&Product=LG+GGC-H20L+Lightscribe+SATA+16xDVD±R+%2bRWx8/-RW+x6+Also+READS+-+Blu-Ray+%26+HD+Disc's+black+-+Retail" [nonactive]
blu-ray drive to replace the dvd drive, most likely after the OS installation.
1. Is the above spec ok for installing LunixMCE as a hybrid? Ive read that there are issues with my tv card? Also there is
a linux driver provided for the soundcard by the manufacturer however im not sure if it will work?
2. Does LinuxMCE play MKV files natively? If not what software do i need inorder to get them to play?
3. Do I need any other software to play retail DVDs like nVidia's dvd decoder for windows MCE?
4. Would it be possible to use my N95 to control the media pc?
Thanks in advance for your replies, im really excited to install LinuxMCE and any help would be greatly appreciated