Author Topic: Newby with many questions  (Read 3516 times)

brwilson

• View Profile
Newby with many questions
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:45:01 am »
Ok I'm a newby to LinuxMCE but not to computers.  I have questions on the following:

1) I can not log into the admin web page.
When I go to http://localhost/pluto-admin I do receive a logon page that ask for a username and password.  I have tried both the "linuxmce" and the one user I created "billy" but was received and error saying that the user name and password do not match.  What is the username I should be using or is there additional thing I need to setup before this is useable?

2) I have two 1.5TB drives installed on this system while I see that the main drive with the OS is loaded where should the second drive be mounted?  I plan to use this as additional storage for the video system.

3) I have a HVR-2250 card from Hauppauge but can not find how to config this card.  Not sure if there is a driver.  Also I have a pinnacle PCTV HD card but it was installed into the system after I loaded the LinuxMCE system so how do I configure this card?  If the LinuxMCE is the group is the one adding the driver for any caputure card I can help.

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Newby with many questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:06 am »
1) http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Logging_In  - your problem is most likely case sensitivity... link has info how to reset pw

2) I believe you need to fdisk/format the second drive but not mount it, it will just pop up and say it found a new disk and ask you if you want to use it...

3) You might have to compile your own driver for this one and possibly upgrade the kernel, which can be tricky. I think thats a rather new card...  Rule of thumb here is to stick to hardware thats supported, unless you're good enough to figure out how to add support for it.

brwilson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer.  That took care of 1 & 2.  Let me restate part B on 3 or maybe part B should have been 4.

4) After I installed the LinuxMCE I installed another card for cable input.  It is a Pinnacle 800I (PCTV HD PCI).  While this card is physically in the system how do configure the new card so that the LinuxMCE and MythTV can see and use it?

superfro

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 05:08:21 pm »
Well you got 2 options, you can either goto the setup wizard / media portion and go to the 'inputs' menu ... if its there you can check it and setup schedulesdirect from there.... if it doesn't show up..  you can drop to a shell and do a 'dmesg' and see if you see ivtv stuff or 'dmesg | grep -i video' , or 'dmesg | grep -i pinnacle' and see if you get any /dev/video0 or /dev/video0 or equivalents and goto 'computing' and run mythtv setup ... and configure it manually in myth (plenty of tutorials on the web for this)....

If you aren't seeing a  device, there's no driver being loaded for your card...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:56:54 pm »
A Device template needs to be made for that particular card. We really need help from experienced users on adding device templates and their associated configuration scripts to the web admin.

-Thom

brwilson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 06:01:32 am »
Ok more down the path but still on there:

I did not have a /dev/video or anything found on dmesg | grep -i video

So I followed the information on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_(800i) to down load and build the driver the make and make install when without problem.  When I reboot the system I had the following:

Boot video device is 0000:00:03.0
Allocate port service [0000:00:03.0:pcie00]

Still do not have a /dev/video.  Is there another path I should be following to make and install the driver on LinuxMCE?  Are there additional step that I need to follow.  Can someone point me to a web page?  Do I just need to reload LinuxMCE with the card installed?