Author Topic: Linux MCE and Squeezebox integration?  (Read 12687 times)

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE and Squeezebox integration?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:13:19 am »
Bulek.

Seem like the info we want.
Let us all know how it work for you.

/niz23

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:35:23 pm »
Just posted in users about using the Media MVP  as squeezebox got it working but need help with template.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5590.0
Thought you squeeze experts may have a thought.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 09:55:19 am »
Bulek.

/niz23

Have found the trick, but cannot do it with my sound card (cause it doesn't recognize spdif output)...

Would like to ask about other problem. I've followed instructions about squeezeslave&LMCE and have created startup script:

cp -f squeezeslave.start /etc/init.d/squeezeslave
chmod +x /etc/init.d/squeezeslave
update-rc.d squeezeslave defaults 50

But it seems that squeezeslave is not properly started after boot - it starts to work imediately if I do this :
/etc/init.d/squeezeslave start

Any advice what is wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 10:38:53 am »
bulek.
Bulek.

/niz23

Have found the trick, but cannot do it with my sound card (cause it doesn't recognize spdif output)...

Would like to ask about other problem. I've followed instructions about squeezeslave&LMCE and have created startup script:

But it seems that squeezeslave is not properly started after boot - it starts to work imediately if I do this :

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Is there any error messages in your boot log or messages log related to the start of squeezeslave?

/niz23

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 11:07:16 am »
bulek.
Bulek.

/niz23

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Is there any error messages in your boot log or messages log related to the start of squeezeslave?

/niz23

dmesg | grep squeeze

gives nothing. Can I change script in some simple way to output more info to catch a problem ? I have no bash knowledge...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 04:08:48 pm »
sorry for bumping up an old post, but I didn't wanted to start a new one.

I've successfully setuped two squeezeslaves on a MD. They are registered (seen in the webfrontend) and they're waiting for a signal, but as soon, as I start to play a file, I get a "decode error". Has anyone a solution for this.

I'm running a Hybrid/Core i386, the mentioned MD is an amd64 with squeezeslave_7.5.1_amd64.

Thanks in advance,
eNoodle

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:41:53 pm »
sorry for bumping up an old post, but I didn't wanted to start a new one.

I've successfully setuped two squeezeslaves on a MD. They are registered (seen in the webfrontend) and they're waiting for a signal, but as soon, as I start to play a file, I get a "decode error". Has anyone a solution for this.

I'm running a Hybrid/Core i386, the mentioned MD is an amd64 with squeezeslave_7.5.1_amd64.

Thanks in advance,
eNoodle

Did you follow wiki page procedure exactly? I'm curious, cause my squeezeslave just won't start after boot, if I start it manually /etc/init.d/squeezeslave start then it works...

Regarding decode error - it's mentioned like something that happens with later versions or maybe it's related to type of audio file. Did you try different files ?

My squeezeslave is  0.7.5.1-20167.

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 08:39:06 am »
@bulek,

I'm running 0.7.5.1 amd64 version. I've only tested 320 kbit, will test some more files today. I've followed the wiki instructions, however, I guess there is an error in this line

Code: [Select]
sudo default-rd.d /etc/init.d/squeezeslave default 50
It wasn't working for me, so I changed it to

Code: [Select]
sudo update-rc.d /etc/init.d/squeezeslave default 50
In my case, I've two start scripts (squeezeplayer1 and squeezeplayer2), both get started at startup and they can be stopped, restarted, etc. like normal daemon.

Only problem I have is the mentioned decode error, but maybe this is related to the encoding format of these files. It seems like this is the last error to fight against, all the rest is working (I can see the player in squeezecenter and it can be controlled from within LMCE).

Regards,
eNoodle

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 12:58:23 pm »
I didn't got any signal out of the squeezeslaves, so I moved my MD from amd64 to i386 and used squeezeslave-0.8-20-lnx26-alsa-i686 as client. Now everything is working, the dameons start at startup and they can play any kind of music. :)

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 02:11:24 am »
I didn't got any signal out of the squeezeslaves, so I moved my MD from amd64 to i386 and used squeezeslave-0.8-20-lnx26-alsa-i686 as client. Now everything is working, the dameons start at startup and they can play any kind of music. :)
Hi,

can you please share with us more info on how you did it and where this package can be downloaded ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 08:46:19 am »
Hi bulek,

I pretty much followed the description from the wiki page (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Squeezeslave_on_the_core). However, using the amd64 version wasn't working, so what differ is:

I added the "-O" param, which shwitches squeezeslave in old mode and prevents "receive errors". I also added a value to "-r" (retry parameter), so if the connection gets lost, it will reconnect. If you start squeezeslave from the commandline, you shouldn't receive any errors, in addition the alsa version shows all devices capable of playing audio (not only dev/dspX). Choose your ouput device and add it to the "-o" parameter. It is also possible to put two or more squeezeslaves on one soundcard, for example I got it running having one squeezeslave on digital output an other on analog output. For some soundcards it seems, that its also possible to put one stream to front, one to surrond and one to back, so you'll get three analog outputs.

Regarding your boot issue: I didn't needed to edit rc.local and I used "update-rc.d squeezebox1 defaults 50", instead of "default-rd.d /etc/init.d/squeezeslave default 50" (I have two squeezeslaves running, so I have two independent startscripts for them - squeezebox1 and squeezebox2). I also had to set the default soundcard for normal playback (asoundconf set-default-card XYZ). The rest was done using the description in the wiki.

My startscript parameter for squeezebox1:

NAME=squeezebox1
DAEMON=/usr/bin/squeezeslave
DAEMON_ARGS="-O -o 0 -m 00:00:00:00:00:01 -r 3 -s 192.168.80.1"
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME

I guess, that the biggest problem was the amd64 version of squeezeslave. I tried "0.8.12 i386" and "0.7.5.1  amd64" on amd64, none of them were working. However changing the MD to i386 and using the alsa-version is working perfectly. I can stream flac, mp3 and ogg vorbis without any issues.

Regards,
eNoodle

BTW, I'll add the infos to the wiki.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 09:29:51 am »
Hi,

thanks for info. I will see if this all works. I spotted only one problem - squeezeslave doesn't take any more parameter --volume off I used that to ignore volume changes - I do volume on amplifier) - but it cannot start if I add this parameter....

Anyone with same problem ?

Regards,

bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.