Author Topic: Any other remotes support "follow me"?  (Read 2266 times)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Any other remotes support "follow me"?
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:31 pm »
I'm guessing not since I can't find any info about it.  How does that functionality work anyway?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Any other remotes support "follow me"?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:31 pm »
Follow me is actually an event in the system itself.

Follow me basically says, "I..me..myself, have gone from one room to another...and if I have follow me for media turned on, it will turn on the TV in the target room, once the system has recieved the follow me event."

This can be done in a few ways:

* Use an orbiter, go to the floorplan, and turn on Follow me.. Then when you move to another room, take the orbiter with you, and change its room.

* Use a supported cell phone, and bluetooth dongles on each media director. The Cell phone will bind to the closest bluetooth dongle, and your media will move from room to room once it has determined you are in the room, and you have enabled follow me for a given part of the system (i.e. hold down 2 on your phone until you see F appear over "Media").

* Use a Fiire Chief, and attach dongles to every interested system. Pressing Follow me will cause the remote to bind to the closest dongle, and send a follow me event from there.

-Thom

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:46:52 pm »
So the remote itself is triggering the event by sending a signal?  So I can use anything and put lots of IR or bluetooth sensors all about and it will just use the closest one to figure out where I am?  I thought the system was somehow polling the fiirechief and not the other way around.  So it shouldn't be too difficult to make any bluetooth device with a gyro like the fiire chief remote.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:51:38 pm »
There is code in Orbiter to handle the Fiire Chief. It is a special case... There is also code in Bluetooth_Dongle to handle triggering follow me from registered orbiter phones. (Bluetooth Dongle only reports follow me from phones that are running orbiter.)

So it's not that simple.

A lot of different devices could potentially trigger a follow me signal... IR wouldn't do it, trust me on this one. I have done experiments using RFID etc to do it....

You're going to need to do some serious study of the code-base to understand first, how the whole system works, and then finally how events and follow me work. This is a 3-6 month project, not a weekend duct tape hack.

-Thom