Author Topic: Shoud I be able to ping my LMCE from outside my network?  (Read 2425 times)

sincityharley

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Shoud I be able to ping my LMCE from outside my network?
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:58:38 am »
I know my LMCE is on and I know it has an internet connection. I am outside my home netowrk and I have my external IP address. I am not able to ping my external address. There are no other firewalls on my netowrk except the LMCE. Is there something that I need to do to allow ping requests? I am having issues with voip in as far as incoming calls. I just want to start troubleshooting my issue with trying to ping my lmce. Also can anyone tell me what ports I need to have open so that voip will work. Thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Shoud I be able to ping my LMCE from outside my network?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:30:07 am »
If your LMCE core is exposed directly on the internet (ie it isn't behind a broadband router) then you can ping it, but you won't receive replies because of the LMCE firewall. I don't believe you can turn on ICMP Echo (pings) in the Web Admin but almost certainly you can using the command line interface.

If your core is behind a broadband router then your core is probably on a "private" IP subnet like 192.168.x.y in which case you are attempting to ping the router (which owns the public IP address) not the Core, and these are almost always set to drop ICMP packets.

Need to know whether the Core is actually on the Internet directly first, or behind a router, before I can help with your VoIP.

sincityharley

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:29:54 am »
LMCE core is definitely exposed to the internet. I am getting an internet IP address. There is nothing between my DSL modem and my LMCE core. I read somewhere that my asterisk need to be listening on port 4569. I am starting to think maybe its not. How would i go about finding out?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »
LMCE core is definitely exposed to the internet. I am getting an internet IP address. There is nothing between my DSL modem and my LMCE core. I read somewhere that my asterisk need to be listening on port 4569. I am starting to think maybe its not. How would i go about finding out?

Go to Shields Up! and run a test?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2