Author Topic: Need help with rs232 tv  (Read 16813 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Need help with rs232 tv
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:27:46 am »
So, I asked this question in another thread, but it didn't get me all the way, so here goes again.

I have an olevia 232t television.  It has an rs232 control port and I have a serial cable connected to the core.  Someone in the other post told me to update my cvsSQL or something similar and I did that and now there is a template for olevia floating around the web admin.  My problem is that I have no idea what to do with this.  Can someone walk me simply through how to go about this process?  Any help would be appreciated as the web admin is not making sense to me right now.  I don't understand the concepts or the means involved here at all.  thanks guys

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with rs232 tv
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:17:49 am »
We do not have the olevia template in the database. I just looked.

Does someone have the template so that I can put it into the database?

-Thom

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:15:52 pm »
It is definitely an rs232 plug.  Someone told me to update my sqlCVS and now the olevia manufacture shows up when I use the add device wizard.  However, I don't understand the wizards or how I should try to add this TV.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:31 am »
DB9 is almost certainly a 232 port, however many displays do not have control functionality through this port, only the ability to update the firmware. In those cases the port is almost always called a "service port", as does this one. If that is the case, your options are limited to IR (or perhaps USB/ethernet if it has them).

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:22:22 am »
Ok, so I had some problems and haven't been able to think about controlling my TV.  But now, those problems are fixed and I'd like to chase this rabbit again.  So, Thom asked who has the template.  In another one of my posts, it was a user named PeteK.  He said that "I just checked in a template for the Olevia RS-232.   I'm still having issues getting pnp to run (I'm not sure what triggers PNP for serial ports (I've got USB to serial adapters on my MDs), but there is a pnp script that I've checked out before in the SVN tree.  In any case, if you update sqlCVS, there will be a template for the Olevia 2XXT TVs."

So, once again, I don't know what to do with this.  Where in the web admin do I add this?  I'm really in need of any kind of direction.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:32:03 am »
afkpuz - read my last post. That display's specs says this is a service port only. No control. What makes you think it is a control port?

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:19:02 am »
Because several websites that I looked on when I purchased the TV said that this port allowed a computer to control the TV.  Furthermore, someone in another of my posts said that he was making a template to control the 200 series olevia tvs, which is what I have. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:21 am »
The Olevia tv's referred to have a full RS-232 serial port. The protocol information can be gleaned from their website.

-Thom

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:24 pm »
Thom, I believe that I found the codes needed to control my tv.  Can you help me test them and make a template?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:10 pm »
Do you have the required cable?

-Thom

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:00:02 pm »
Yes.  Here is the page with the codes. 

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:08:25 pm »
Try to send a power on or off with the TestSerialPort utility. Look at the pnp scripts for usage hints.

br,Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:32 pm »
You act like I know what you're talking about...can you dumb it down for me?

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 04:44:46 am »
Hi Afkpuz,

Did you read through the wiki pages on devices/device templates?

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/AV_Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Device_Templates

See if they answer some of your questions.

regards
Darren

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 06:51:27 am »
Ok, I'm getting close, but am stuck on the ruby code syntax.  On the A/V page, I have my television listed.  COM Port on PC is /dev/ttyS0, but I cannot get the ruby code correct.

The information I got from Olevia says that the power off Hex Command is BE 05 27 00 EA   

I click A/V properties and assume that here is where I should enter my magic ruby codes.  But I actually don't know any ruby programming, so I got stuck.  I tried to use some syntax I found in other templates, but no dice.  Any help?