Author Topic: Band new to Linux  (Read 1937 times)

JrCRXHF

• First post!
    • View Profile
Band new to Linux
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:58:36 pm »
I am going to try and setup my first linux box i have some friends that run linux but no one runs MCE.

The parts that i have now.

Abit MB gig on board audio.
4 gigs DDR Ram
AMD X2 2.4ghz
8800GTS
Dual 250 gig drives SATA
Pin. HD tuner card
Pin. Ethernet TV recorder box.
65" mitsu 1080P tv
Harmon 635 7.1
Xbox 360 HD DVD

I will get model numbers off some of the other hardware when i get a chance i am sure i am going to have lots of questions. I come more from a car computer background hooking up standalone ECU's and tuning them.

Really nothing to do with this but i have a willing to learn and i have not been happy with vista and WMC.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Band new to Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:49:24 pm »
Welcome.

If we can help out, we will. :)

On first glance, the 8800 will need to have newer drivers installed. These are detailed on the wiki page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

The amplifier can be controlled via IR at the very least. So you will need an I/R transciever. The ones that work best with our system are:

* USB UIRT (this was shown in the demo.)
* GC-100 (transmit only)
* IRTrans
* Tira

I use a USB UIRT in my system, with a Xantech 286 double emitter on mine to control my TV and cable box.

If the Ethernet recorder box exposes itself over UPnP, LinuxMCE will scan all its publically available media.

The XBox 360 isn't supported yet. But some of the developers do have the boxes, so I think we'll see support for it on the UPnP level. The drive is supported, however.

I recommend that you look at the FAQ on the wiki to start, and there is a chat function to get help here too.

Good luck!

-Thom