Author Topic: HDTV FREESAT UK - ADVICE ON WHAT CARDS WORK WITH LINUXMCE  (Read 8789 times)

solidsquare

• View Profile
HDTV FREESAT UK - ADVICE ON WHAT CARDS WORK WITH LINUXMCE
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:50:30 am »
Hello,

I am trying to build my 1st LinuxMCE Core server, and i want to be able to receive Free Sat. Does anyone know the best card to buy that is simple to install and setup?

I have a Pinnacle 310i that i can not get to work which is only DVB-T i have also tried Technotrend 1501-C which i can not get to work in linuxmce (both work fine with windows, but i want to get shot of windows), so my plan is to scrap the Pinnacle DVB-T & Technotrend DVB-C and find a DVB-S card that will receive HDTV FREESAT in the UK.

So if anyone has managed to do this please could you tell me what card is the best for the job.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

John.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: HDTV FREESAT UK - ADVICE ON WHAT CARDS WORK WITH LINUXMCE
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:26:20 am »
John - please note some points before posting. First, read the huge coloured box at the top of this forum.... this is not for requesting advice, go to the users' forum. And please don't post topic subjects in ALL BOLD, you're seeking advice not screaming at people! Finally, it is appropriate to search the forums, or better yet the Wiki for answers before asking. You'll get far better responses, otherwise.

You are looking for a DVB-T card or USB device that is compatible with Linux. linuxtv.org and mythtv.org are good resources for this. Look in the hardware category of wiki.linuxmce.org - there are a number of hauppauge cards such as the Nova T 500.... there are also a number of DVB-S cards there

solidsquare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:04:35 am »
.O.K.---
This is a special forum for companies that offer some products or services which are compatible with LinuxMCE, like home automation devices that are supported, VOIP phone service, professional installation or tech support. Each company should start a new topic which explains their offering. Users can post experiences and comments to that topic

The bit i like about the notice at the top is " This is a special forum for companies that offer some products or services which are compatible with LinuxMCE and it also stats professional installation or tech support "
Now i am looking for COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS that work with linuxmce, hence my posting.... Maybe i should have bored you all stupid by telling you i have spent many hours/days even looking in to just finding the right DVB card, and my understanding (which could be wrong) linuxmce does not yet support HDTV, but like everyone else in there postings state they want to be ready for when it can. i have spent many head banging nights trying to get my Pinnacle 310i and my Technotrend 1501-c card to work, i have read just about every posting, every wiki page, and have done intensive search relating to the cards i already have, now i know a lot about windows and not much about linux so i dont want to waste time or money buying a DVB-S card that i have to compile drivers for because i do not know how to do that very well if at all.

So back to my previous question rephrased:
Is there a company or someone with the technical knowledge that can tell me what would the best PCI/PCI-E DVB-S card that will receive HDTV/FREESAT in the UK.

Here is what i already know:
1. The pcHDTV 5500: From what i have read it does not support PAL.
2. DviCO FusionHDTV5 RT GOLD (PCI card) or FusionHDTV5 Express (PCIe card) : Is for cable not sat
3. WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus: Is for sat but not HD
4. WinTV-HD: Says its ATSC which is for the U.S. not U.K.

If anyone has any constructive advice it would be appreciated.

Regards, John...

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:43:56 am »
.O.K.---
This is a special forum for companies that offer some products or services which are compatible with LinuxMCE, like home automation devices that are supported, VOIP phone service, professional installation or tech support. Each company should start a new topic which explains their offering. Users can post experiences and comments to that topic

The bit i like about the notice at the top is " This is a special forum for companies that offer some products or services which are compatible with LinuxMCE and it also stats professional installation or tech support "
Now i am looking for COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS that work with linuxmce, hence my posting.... Maybe i should have bored you all stupid by telling you i have spent many hours/days even looking in to just finding the right DVB card, and my understanding (which could be wrong) linuxmce does not yet support HDTV, but like everyone else in there postings state they want to be ready for when it can. i have spent many head banging nights trying to get my Pinnacle 310i and my Technotrend 1501-c card to work, i have read just about every posting, every wiki page, and have done intensive search relating to the cards i already have, now i know a lot about windows and not much about linux so i dont want to waste time or money buying a DVB-S card that i have to compile drivers for because i do not know how to do that very well if at all.

So back to my previous question rephrased:
Is there a company or someone with the technical knowledge that can tell me what would the best PCI/PCI-E DVB-S card that will receive HDTV/FREESAT in the UK.

Here is what i already know:
1. The pcHDTV 5500: From what i have read it does not support PAL.
2. DviCO FusionHDTV5 RT GOLD (PCI card) or FusionHDTV5 Express (PCIe card) : Is for cable not sat
3. WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus: Is for sat but not HD
4. WinTV-HD: Says its ATSC which is for the U.S. not U.K.

If anyone has any constructive advice it would be appreciated.

Regards, John...

Hi John,

As Colin said earlier this area of the Forum is for companies to promote and describe their products. If you have questions about the system or what works with it then this is not the place... and generally people will not look here at all for people needing help with this type of issue. Just post you question in the right place and you'll get some help ok ;-)

Look here for Linux compatible DVB cards; http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_Devices

We use Hauppauge single tuner Nova-T's and HVR-1110's amongst others for example.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk