Author Topic: Movies in Kubuntu  (Read 3314 times)

trimble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Movies in Kubuntu
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:03:36 am »
Is it possible to run movies that have been ripped in LinuxMCE using Xine in Kubuntu? It seems like it should be; my understanding is that LinuxMCE uses Xine as its own video engine. However, I get a "There is no demuxer plugin available..." error when I attempt to open either the .dvd, .id3, or keys file for any of my movies on disk. The movies run fine within LinuxMCE, though.

I'd just like to run some of my movies in a small window while doing stuff in Kubuntu.

Thanks,
Mark

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in Kubuntu
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:30:24 am »
LMCE uses xinelib (the libraries that Xine uses) not Xine itself, so the behaviour's are not necessarily going to be the same. You may find that the KDE desktop Xine player is not liking that the extension is .dvd rather than .iso - you could try renaming one to see if that makes any difference. The id3 and keys files are specific to LMCE so those aren't the ones to try anyway.

trimble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:29 am »
Thanks. I tried renaming a .dvd file as a .iso but no luck with Xine or Kaffeine. Mplayer tried, but the video signal was all scrambled.

If playing .dvd files is only possible inside of LinuxMCE, would you know if it's possible to transcode the files to divx or theora or something that's playable on the desktop?

Regards,
Mark

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:48:21 am »
The .dvd files are just standard .iso disk images, so I guess you just need something that can mount an .iso in kubuntu as a "virtual" drive like poweriso in Windows, and then you will be able to play it from there as if it were a disk...

Transcoding is not an easy option, btw, as this is an image of a DVD rather than a serial video stream, so you would have to pull out just the main feature from the VOB files (after mounting it anyway) then transcode those, and that would take a very long time....

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:54:04 am »
xine -pfhq --no-splash dvd:/video/ripped/whatever.dvd

works fine for me.  you have to put the full path to dvd,

Rob

trimble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile