Author Topic: Ideal 0710 RC2 Installation with multiple HDD  (Read 2947 times)

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
Ideal 0710 RC2 Installation with multiple HDD
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:26:32 am »
Hello Folks

I have a linuxmce on 704 and absolutely love it.  Now is the time to go for even bigger set up...

And, I don't use floor plans, security, phone, et al....

Just a plain but sexy HTPC.

Step 1:
=====

Install LMCE 0710 RC2 on a 500GB HDD

configure all video and settings.

Test the set up to be able to play DVD and DVD Ripping etc...

Remove firewall as this HTPC is sitting behind a powerful firewall anyway.

Step 2:
======

Add 3 addition 500GB drives.
Using Live KBUNTU CD, format each one of them with EXT3 partition and label them as either during format or afterward using e2label as

a) english
      b) french
      c) spanish

Step 3:
=====

Code: [Select]

mkdir /home/public/data/videos/spanish
chmod 777 /home/public/data/videos/spanish

mkdir /home/public/data/videos/english
chmod 777 /home/public/data/videos/english

mkdir /home/public/data/videos/french
chmod 777 /home/public/data/videos/french

nano /etc/fstab with following mods:

###
#     Modified over the stock LMCE Install
###
##  /dev/sdb1
UUID=b4c79dc1-a0f2-4272-8b88-a82322dd98e0 /home/public/data/videos/french     ext3    defaults,user_xattr 0       2     
#
#
##  /dev/sdc1
UUID=c3bec97e-9dfa-44d5-b9a6-0702af9e93bc /home/public/data/videos/spanish     ext3    defaults,user_xattr 0       2     
#
#
##  /dev/sdd1
UUID=12283edd-d0ab-4c78-b0c0-4c735e88136b /home/public/data/videos/english     ext3    defaults,user_xattr 0       2     
###############################

Save

Step 4:
======

reboot and use.....

The reason I may find this useful, is that I can then select video and then select drill down into the directory I may have categorized various videos.

I am asking all your highly experienced folks, what problems do you see in this approach, even if this might be tad bit unconventional.

Also, will over time, any media that I may ftp into say /home/public/data/french directory, will it get cataloged into the database or will it need extra help?

Thanks for reading this post and for your comments.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:39:08 am by garg_art2002 »
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal 0710 RC2 Installation with multiple HDD
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:37:03 am »
*hmm*

let LinuxMCE handle the disk storage. Otherwise the storage radar will not work properly.

and why are you relying on filename sort? if things are properly tagged, you won't need it.

-Thom

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 06:05:40 pm »
and why are you relying on filename sort? if things are properly tagged, you won't need it.

Hi Thom

I understand. The puritan in me also would like that way. But we have mixed media types and we are multi-linguals and enjoy all kinds of stuff.  Not every thing is tagged as well. Specially the amateur stuff and its just easier for now to follow this.

filename based access lets me go to Video >> Directory spanish >> directory dances >> pick any of the mp4/flv files that are stored there.

We will not use the filename based access under other circumstances but feel that this "use case" shown above is powerful enough. In fact I am thinking of making this a feature recommendation as in the mixed media world some will be tagged and some will not be.

I am not sure what you mean by storage radar and how it works. Do u have a URL for me to read ...?

Also I will be obliged, if you could point me to a few risks or problems with this approach.

Much appreciate it.

Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 06:11:40 pm »
You need to tag things appropriately. Our media system is built on it.

You can add additional attributes to the database (and add additional sort types by modifying the appropriate tables in pluto_media).. Please do this, instead of using duct tape to do something half right.

-Thom

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:37:03 am »
You need to tag things appropriately. Our media system is built on it.

Thom

I will surely do that - but to get started, what trouble do you see in this set up. Please give me some latitude till I am able to Tag all historic media, we have created, over time.

Best Regards
Anil Garg