Author Topic: Hardware Migration Help  (Read 2381 times)

trimble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hardware Migration Help
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:14:45 pm »
I am planning moving my core server (0710) to a new box and could use some advice on how to move my current LinuxMCE system (its database and media files) to this new environment. Hopefully its just a matter of backing-up and restoring the database on the new install and copying the media files into the same locations on the new hard drives, but I thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks,
Mark

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Migration Help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:25:06 am »
Hi!

How did this proceed?
 I am in the mode of moving all my media to a Nas and would like the attributes settings to be followed. Did a try with some files but ended up with the attributes and dvdcss "links" got lost and from the orbiter there where loose links to the old location. (eventhough I made media sync and full regen of the orbiters).
Also it would be good to know if the backup from web admin can be restored on any Linuxmce machine(given that hw has been setup the same) or is it depending on being the same exact hw.?
In that case, how do you move your media from the old hw to the new if you have everything stored in the Core on the same disk(not partition) as the boot?

-johan

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Migration Help
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:11:48 am »

Also it would be good to know if the backup from web admin can be restored on any Linuxmce machine(given that hw has been setup the same) or is it depending on being the same exact hw.?

-johan

Hi Johan!

I am also trying to move the whole system to another disk (the old one is far too small).. Tried to use that backup/restore function in web admin. The backup was created OK, as much as i have seen, but then...new disk, new installation, restoring old backup (created by RC1) on a RC2... it gives the information, the restore process was OK, and that rebooting will take some time. Unfortunately there is no change in the database, no change regarding boot process...

So i cloned my old hdd to a new one and now i'm tryin' to figure out, how to add that unpartitioned space to first partition...  >:(
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best