Author Topic: Fiire Chief  (Read 42104 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Fiire Chief
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2008, 01:03:41 am »
Richard

Absolutely agreed! Its tiny! Very silly design (and thank god I'm slightly colour blind, because the brown is aweful!)

Moving your finger over to the OK button tends to move the pointer around, so its awkward even with mouse sensitivity set to minimum.

The menu button is the more logical for select, but I'm not sure that the template logic will allow such context sensitive actions? Also, it would then stop you being able to click straight into the menu from the media or vol/light options.

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2008, 03:30:53 am »
I've been using the Fiire remote for about 3 months now and have gotten used the sensitivity of the remote. However, I tend to think that I would enjoy a web tablet a bit more. The placement of the buttons is a bit awkward, but overall the remote is definitely a nice addition. Web tablets are just so much more expensive...

Jason
Silverstone LC20M (silver)
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
Sherwood RVD-6090 (needs replaced)
32" RCA SDTV

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2008, 04:34:56 am »
I've been using the Fiire remote for about 3 months now and have gotten used the sensitivity of the remote. Jason

So what's your opinion of the OK button? Would it be better to use one of the larger, more central buttons? Or is there another way to select what the pointer is hovering over other than the OK button? Or is the small button something you get used to. As you've said, the placement of the buttons is awkward, but the OK button is a pretty important one.

Don't forget also that it's not just us. The remote must be used easily by others in the family, including the wife and visitors.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »
So what's your opinion of the OK button?

I think it is awkward to press especially without moving the cursor on the screen.

Would it be better to use one of the larger, more central buttons? Or is there another way to select what the pointer is hovering over other than the OK button? Or is the small button something you get used to. As you've said, the placement of the buttons is awkward, but the OK button is a pretty important one.

I think it would be better if we could use the button in the center of the arrow cluster. The OK button is the only button for confirmation of setting selection that I have noticed. This excludes MythTV which does allow the use of the button in the center of the arrow cluster. My wife and I have become _much_ more proficient in pressing the OK button without the arrow jumping all over the screen. My wife has struggled more with this issue.

Don't forget also that it's not just us. The remote must be used easily by others in the family, including the wife and visitors.

I realize this and it is because of this fact that I purchased the Fiire remote. Plans are underway to market these systems and I wanted to see how well people could catch on to the function of the remote. My wife just _loves_ being the guinea pig sometimes.  ;) Of course my kids don't EVER get to touch the remote. Perhaps when they get older, but my oldest is only (almost) six years old.
Silverstone LC20M (silver)
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
Sherwood RVD-6090 (needs replaced)
32" RCA SDTV

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2008, 02:27:16 am »
Wow, I can't believe they came so quick - after reading stories from others.

Colin, I am still on holidays up the coast - but will contact you Monday/Tuesday ish.

Trying to catch up on the forums - amazing how much gets posted in a week now.

Darren

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2008, 03:28:09 am »
Seems I missed the boat on this - bummer. Don't suppose anyone has a left over they want to sell? ;)

If not I guess I'll have to order from Fiire...

Cheers,
WR.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2008, 07:43:37 am »
They are worth the money in terms of a "it just works" experience.

I am tempted to get another as at the moment I am moving it between two rooms....

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:46 am »
Hi,

my experience:

- generally really useful remote.

Cons:
- ugly design (brown color...)
- inconvenient placement of OK button...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2008, 05:08:57 am »
Got a quote for 1 fiire Cheif and 2 Dongles and I'm afraid the shipping is still rather expensive! FedEx International Economy  -- 6 days shipping - $82.54!

I'm kinda impatient so think i'll put the order through this weekend anyway, but on the off chance there are others out there in Aus (I'm in Vic) that want to do another bulk purchase, let me know.

Cheers,
WR.

pga57

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 08:50:01 am »
Where can we find the Fiire Chief in Europe ?

I've look at the dealer list but I've not find real European resealers.

Philippe

flaccid

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2008, 11:36:42 am »
I would like to purchase a Fiire Chief. I live in Sydney, Australia.
Have I missed the boat? Can someone help me out?