Author Topic: Character LCD/VFD displays  (Read 3286 times)

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Character LCD/VFD displays
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:10:04 pm »
Is there anything in LMCE for parallel or usb driven auxillary character (or graphic even) LCD/VFD displays? I see that one of the Fiire systems has a VFD, and just kinda got curious if theres something built in or if its something specific to their LMCE builds. In its previous life, my current core/hybrid hardware was a MythTV box and I did at one point add a parallel attached 20x4 LCD to it. Not a make or break deal for me at all, just looking for an extra bonus :) I can always crank up LCDProc like I used to I suppose.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Character LCD/VFD displays
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:01:21 am »
we have drivers for a few different displays. As far as I've used, i've only used the MSI Media Live LCDButtons driver, but it is possible to create VFD drivers using the VFD_LCDBase class.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:02:10 am »
Currently, there is no VFD "device" for driving these displays in LMCE. You can use LCDProc to do your own thing, and VDR/Myth I believe people have gotten it to display some stuff. But building a LMCE device for these is the key... I think it would be great to have that and would like to build one myself but I'm still way off being able to do so yet!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 12:07:09 am »
NO Colin. Incorrect. Please do not reply on a topic if you do not know the correct answer.

I'm one of the developers, my reply is correct.

please read my original reply.

-Thom

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 12:14:40 am »
Interesting to know, thanks for the update. If it helps any, my display uses the very popular HD44780 driver, and is for display only (has no buttons).

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:39:06 am »
For christ's sakes, Thom, calm down! We all know who you are, there is no need to be rude! I was posting at the same time as you, and was just trying to help.

My comment is still valid - there is no LMCE device for VFDs even if there is a class that's not much use to a user without a DCE device is it? I was simply reflecting other comments from senior members like totallymaxed who has said in the past that he would like to see VFDs more fully supported. Even if some parts of LMCE can display data on some devices (which is what I think you are saying) wouldn't it be better if there was a general DCE device to do this that could receive messages from all other devices in the system and display data about everything that LMCE is doing?

That sounds very like I am totally subscribed to the mantra you always enforce - no duct tape, it should be designed into the system from the ground up using DCE!!!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:03:30 am »
If you look in the code, we have drivers for:

* MSI Media Live
* Crystal USB
* Generic VFD/LCD
and a couple of others i can't remember.. I believe IRTrans implements the vfd classes too.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 01:17:03 am »
You're saying drivers aren't you? Not devices? So although we can drive the displays, there is no central DCE device for coordinating messages from all the other devices/plugins, yes? That was what I was getting at - don't you think it would be nice to have that kind of DCE device?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 03:08:31 am »
drivers and devices are interchangeable.

Look at the Media Live LCDButtons device. You will see what I am referring to.

or even better

look at DCE -> commands, and search the page for the VFD commands

-Thom