Author Topic: usb web cam setup  (Read 3206 times)

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
usb web cam setup
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:20:52 am »
Hi all,
apologies in advance, as I'm sure I've missed a check box somewhere,but I'm b**ered if I can find an  answer on wiki/forums.

Ive setup  a single usb webcam , under motion as detailed in wiki,: have ticked camera in admin >security> view cameras, and  scenario is on  menubar,
 BUT i'm only seeing the one frame , generated yesterday..
[for a short while (during a screen freeze on the hybrid) I was getting updated frames on an md.- but that no longer happens.]
I suspect there are some parameters to be set in motion template,but am reluctant to bork things up further.
Any clues, mystic spells, arcane rituals involving  young women, or advice would be  welcome  ;D

TIA
 Ian

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: usb web cam setup
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:45:39 pm »
I had this happen to me once.  Not sure what caused it.  I deleted the camera, re-created it, and the reloaded the router and it worked again.  Maybe this isn't the best solution, but it did work for me. :)

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:12:28 pm »
Hi enigmus,
thanks for response, just tried , and its exactly the same,-did you have to enter any parameters in motion template ?
regards,
Ian

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:31:21 pm »
Hi enigmus,
thanks for response, just tried , and its exactly the same,-did you have to enter any parameters in motion template ?
regards,
Ian
Hi,

maybe for a start you could kill original motion and start it manually with some verbose mode to see what happens on that problematic camera... Maybe you can also check if camera is doing periodical snapshots (look in /home/cameras) dir...

Whenever I for frozen pictures was cause motion was not working correctly... if I remember right, I also always replace motion from ubuntu with newer version from motion website. I think I made this because it was not working for me under 710 and also previous versions...

HTH,

regards,

bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:43:27 pm »
Hi Bulek,
thanks for response, after messing with templates and generally poking around with a number of things over the past few days,I'm doing a fresh install, will pick this up again in next day or so,
regards,
Ian

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:34:15 pm »
well this is a late response to your question, but no.  I just followed the wiki.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB_Surveillance_Camera