Author Topic: LG 32LC7D setup issues  (Read 12678 times)

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
LG 32LC7D setup issues
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:58:26 am »
Hi All,

I have several different LG units here at work that have been left for repair and the customer doesn't ever come back and i took a LG 32LC7D LCDTV home and have tried to set it up without success. I have followed the example on the Wiki (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LG_42LB5D) and have not had an issue till i got to here.

Adding device
This is a simple process that you can now add via the LinuxMCE Admin Website at Wizard > A/V Equipment

Add device based on created template
Just search for the device template that you created and select it from the list

Specify COM port for it
Just tell LinuxMCE which com port to use.

I can select the device from the template and select the template. The next step is where i come unstuck - Where do i specify which com port to use as i don't get this option. It just goes back to the previous screen - ie AV equipment.

Have i forgotten to do something ?

2nd Thing - I also notice when i am in LMCE it tries to detect it as a 20LC something. I tried to use this and i get the usual video wizard and when it asks me to specify a port there is just a blank window. I tell it to finish and it wants to reload router and rebuild/reconfigure the orbitor and once this has completed it goes back to the same window.

Any thoughts would be great.

Regards

Justin

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LG 32LC7D setup issues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:43:48 am »
The LG TV has to have a template built, there is not one in the most current release.  Plus, I do not believe the template from the wiki will work for your model.  I do not see that model listed on the wiki.  If you have the serial codes for your model you can just exchange the values in the Device Template on the wiki and you should have a working Device Template. 

I have also ran into a problem where the necessary software is not installed by default, so try this

Open a terminal Session from KDE desktop or CTL-ALT-F2

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install pluto-serializeclass pluto-test-serial-port pluto-libserial pluto-generic-serial-device
This will make sure that you have all of the software needed to run a GSD Generic Serial Device

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:58:02 am »
Cheers - I will give that a go.

From what i have read on the various LG LCDTV's the RS232 interface and instruction sets are pretty similar and suspect if i can get the 32LC7D running then the 37LC7D, 42LC7D should also work as the instruction sets are almost identical apart from some minor features.

I did create the template based on the instructions in the wiki and used the intruction sets from the example and after that i ran into trouble. I have got hold of the Service manuals and user manuals for most of the LCD models and have started reading them as i am pretty sure they use the same instruction sets for basic functions - ie on/off vol up and down.

The problem i have is that when i choose the template and click go it looks like it does something and takes me av equipment screen. It also say device added - but it is not listed there.

Regards

Justin

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »
The other thing to consider, is jondecker, has done a lot of work with web admin, so upgrading the web admin may help. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5510.msg32690#msg32690

The only other thing that I can think of is that the device may be in the unassigned section.  There is a drop down menu at the top of the AV devices page, which you can change the entertainment area.  Try that, then the other thing I would try would be look in the device tree and see if the device was indeed added.  If you can see it from the there you can change the settings from that page as well.  You should be presented with a drop down list of available com ports, and you can pick the appropriate com port.  Is there any way you could copy a screen shot in pastebin for us to look at?

the other thing to try is test from the command line: where $3 it the com port (/dev/ttyS0 or what ever you com port is)
/usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort -p $3 -P N81 -b 9600 -t "ka 01 01\r"
you should see the following if connected properly:

ka 01 01\r\na 00 OK01x

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:36:55 pm »
HI,

I went through the various suggestions you had and it appears i already had the latest GSD updates.

I read the post from jondecker and will leave that one alone for now until i get his sorted out. However that being said i will be following that update once i get this running as it appears he has fixed a problem that i am likely to run into.

I did find the device in the tree and so it has been added. The odd thing is that i am unable to select a comport from the combobox as it appears to be locked or not enabled. Do i need to be in front of the md with it on to be able to change this or should i be able to do it from the admin website from the core?

I have yet to try the command line suggestion for testing the port. I assume that if you get no response it means either my connection or calbe is faulty.

Regards

Justin

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:45:06 am »
HI All,

From the 9 user manuals i have downloaded and read through the RS232 protocol is the same in all models... I am currently comparing the 42" model used in the template and see if it is the same and if so we should be able to use any model and just rename the template accordingly.

Regards

Justin

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »
I have the LG RZ-37LZ55 which is very similar to all the other models but I cannot get it to work or respond in any way.  the COM port does work because I have a CM11A that I swapped out of this port that worked.

I have tried all the stuff suggested.  next step is to make sure they gave me a cross over cable and not a straight through cable.

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 04:54:53 am »
I have just started playing in serice mode of the LG LCDTV and will try changing the baud rates and so on to see if that fixes it.

I also have just got the chance to play with the other comand line suggestions made by others and hope that they might shed some ligt on the situation. I have tried straight through and cross over cables and the result is the same.

I can use this cable in conjunction with a program called dtv labs which is used to upgrade firmwares and it works perfectly so the interface (RS232) works on the LCDTV.

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 08:24:36 am »
Hi,

I finally got a chance to get back to this and i followed the code below and i got those entries - so this would suggest that i can see it via the RS232. I have confirmed the codes in the user manual are the same as the ones in the Wiki (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LG_42LB5D). In order to make this work - am i correct in assuming if the codes are correct and i have assigned the correct com port that it should work?

Is there something else i should be doing as according to the wiki once i have done what it says it should work.

Regards

Justin

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:49:42 pm »
I think that the other things that play are part are setting up pipes (so LMCE knows which devices are used as part of the audio and/or video for a particular EA), the controlled by setting and that the device parent is correct... then watch the DCE router log to ensure it is sending DCE commands to all the correct devices.

But you should check first that you can send test commands manually from the web admin...

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 07:26:52 am »
Hi Collin,

In relation to the pipes - can i post a screen dump of the settings for the audio/video for you 2 see if i have got them correct as i am thinking along the lines that you have suggested in that this might be the area to address.

in addition to that lets say i send the command to turn the unit off - what should i see in the DCE router log entry ?

Regards

Justin

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:03:32 pm »
You should post it as I am not the best person to help here, others maybe able to help...

In the DCE router log you should see any message sent (even tests). Typically, you would see an off command being sent and it would be sent to every device along either a video or audio pipe that you have created. (for an audio only command, mute for instance, it would only be sent to devices connected by audio pipes in that entertainment area .... is how I understand it).

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:55 pm »
You can also run TailDCERouter.sh from a command line and see all the messages fly by live.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:21:22 am »
thanks guys will try that and see what i see.

Will post findings.

Cheers

Justin

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »

the other thing to try is test from the command line: where $3 it the com port (/dev/ttyS0 or what ever you com port is)
/usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort -p $3 -P N81 -b 9600 -t "ka 01 01\r"
you should s the following if connected properly:

ka 01 01\r\na 00 OK01x

I have been trouble shooting my own LG lcd, and tried the code listed at the cmd line. I have 2 serial ports and dont know how to determine which one is which. In the admin site they show as ttyS0 and ttyS1. I tried the command above with both of those labels and all that happened was the cursor would drop to the next line as if I just hit enter with no command. When I tried with just tty it would show "ka 01 01" for about 10 sec then show the command prompt again.
Any clues for me here? Is there a way for me to just run the serial cable from the first port to the second port and send a command to just establish that they are even working and what their labels are?