Author Topic: Playing MKV files, issues after using the wiki  (Read 6862 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Playing MKV files, issues after using the wiki
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:36:24 pm »
So I followed the wiki instructions on how to play MKV files in LMCE without getting the green blocks. Basically just changing the file extension, and telling the admin site that it is an LMCE BD which causes mplayer to be used instead of xine. The movie that I tried no longer has the green blocks all through out, but it is not scaled properly on my TV (it is not centered left/right or top/bottom) I can only see the bottom left corner of the movie. Also the video was choppy, but this is probably caused by my lack of video card.
Any ideas on how I can fix the scaling issue?

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Playing MKV files, issues after using the wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:01:20 am »
I have no such issues... I run my screens on 720p@60hz and the astpect ratio is fine.
All my MKV's are now running with that fix (rename to m2ts and select Blu-Ray).

Video is not choppy, the only thing I do see is a small tearing just where I used to get green artifacts.
I guess the mkv's has errors there, causing the green artifacts in Xine.

My MD's are running a Abit AN-M2HD and use the integrated GPU Nvidia GF7050PV.
Code: [Select]
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AN-M2HD&fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2Cpu's are AMD Athlon x2 64 4400+
2GB Ram

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:22:28 am »
I have the same mobo and cpu 720p is fine. But i do suggest a 5600+ to do high bitrate 1080p

TIm
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:17:12 pm »
I am running through VGA so I have to use 1024x768 on my plasma... I guess maybe that could be the issue?

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:17 pm »
I used 1024x768 on a old 32" LCD before since that was it's pixel perfect resolution...
But the aspect ratio was a problem.
I changed to 720p@60 and everything looks nice :)

If your TV supports 720p, it should support it using VGA.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:19:09 pm »
Thats the problem, when I first hooked up the MD to my TV i tried using the 720p setting and the screen was off center/ out of scale like the mkv file is now. This is a HD tv so I never was sure why LMCE wouldnt work in 720p, but since 1024x768 worked I assumed it was the fact that I was using a VGA cable or something and never had any reason to mess with it until now.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:21:33 pm »
Get a HDMI or DVI out video card, and use the HDMI port on the display.  Then it should detect the 720p resolution properly.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:58:59 pm »
cool, as far as the choppiness goes, is there a way to determine whether it is my processor, RAM, video card (or lack of), or network?

nosilla99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:21:32 pm »
@krys

Use <Alt><F1> to open a console port and login as root

Then type top

This will display processor and memory usage, you can then go back to the orbiter with <ALT><F7> and start a video, use <ALT><F1> to go back and view the current processor and ram usage.

If X, Xine or Mplayer are when added together are above 85% then your processor is probably going to struggle etc.

NOS

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 07:01:17 am »
nos, what is the deal with multiple CPUs? (dual core, for eg) My experience with top is that it reports CPU as being out of 200% for dual core... is that correct?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 01:06:37 pm »
nos, what is the deal with multiple CPUs? (dual core, for eg) My experience with top is that it reports CPU as being out of 200% for dual core... is that correct?
Yes, try pressing 'I' to turn "Irix mode" off, pressing 'h' should show you more options like '1' to see the load on the individual CPUs for example.  And it has it's own man page too. ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:28:29 am »
Thx Zaerc, will do (and btw, yes, but have you ever actually read the top man page? Unless you already know the answer to the question it is extremely ambiguous on that point :) but it was from the man page that I got the idea that this might be the case, just wanted it confirmed!)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
I tried this on a different MD (using 720p setting) with an LCD, still using VGA. The movie was perfectly centered this time, but instead of being sandwiched between letter boxes, the picture was at the very top of the screen with a single (doublewide) letter box at the bottom. Would this also be resolved with an HDMI cable? or is there maybe a setting in Mplayer that I can change somehow?

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:10 pm »
So I followed the wiki instructions on how to play MKV files in LMCE without getting the green blocks. Basically just changing the file extension, and telling the admin site that it is an LMCE BD which causes mplayer to be used instead of xine. ...
Can you pelase explain a bit or put it on Wiki. I have another problem and would like to try Mplayer also beside Xine...

Thanks  in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Play_mkv_files

I did just as the wiki described and thats how I got my mkv to play without the green artifacts, I am still left with the picture positioning problem though, but I am just running through the stock VGA port on my MD's so that could be my issue.
one MD is running @ 1024x768- scale is off, picture seems to be up and to the left
one MD is running @ 720p- scale seems good, picture is at top of screen with double letterbox underneath