Author Topic: Windows 2003 files server media not displaying  (Read 4363 times)

clapp78

• View Profile
Windows 2003 files server media not displaying
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:25:56 pm »
I have been trying for several days to view files on Linuxmce from my windows 2003 file server. I can view files from my XP shares but not the windows 2003 server shares.  The 2003 server and 2003 shares are detected but i canot access them. I have read through the threads and found people having problems with where the user name and password are stored in the admin console and i tried putting the password and user name for both then tried with it first on the file server and then just on the share. None of these worked. Does any one have any other suggestions or has anyone else ran across this problem?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 2003 files server media not displaying
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:00:06 pm »
For the server device in the admin console there are fields for username and password. In the share device which is beneath the server device there are fields for the share name, username and password. Make sure you have filled in both usernames and both passwords.

Also make sure that your PCs are in the linuxmce workgroup.

If it still doesn't connect, 1) you can open Computer Management on the 2003 machine and navigate into the shares/sessions/files part - keep hitting refresh and you should see LMCE periodically connecting to the share. 2) turn on (if it isn't already) Security logging and go to the Security log viewer in Computer Management - you will see each attempt LMCE makes to connect to the share, whether it was successful or not, and if not a message as to why (eg bad password, expired account, etc)

clapp78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:31:32 am »
For the server device in the admin console there are fields for username and password. In the share device which is beneath the server device there are fields for the share name, username and password. Make sure you have filled in both usernames and both passwords.

I have already tried this. I have tried all the user name and password options user name and password on server only, on both server and share, and  on share only. No luck with any of them.

If it still doesn't connect, 1) you can open Computer Management on the 2003 machine and navigate into the shares/sessions/files part - keep hitting refresh and you should see LMCE periodically connecting to the share.

It never showed up under the sessions on the file server.

2) turn on (if it isn't already) Security logging and go to the Security log viewer in Computer Management - you will see each attempt LMCE makes to connect to the share, whether it was successful or not, and if not a message as to why (eg bad password, expired account, etc)

every thing looks ok under the security logs. set up to log both success and and failures. It only shows successful logon/logoff and account logon  events # are 538, 540, 576, 680 These seem to repeat about every 3-5 seconds

This is the log for event id 680 this is the only one that has any error codes but it is a successful atempt so i am not sure it this is the problem. does error code 0x0 mean no errors?

Logon attempt by:    MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
           Logon account:    tXXXXX
           Source Workstation:    DCEROUTER
           Error Code:    0x0

is your server set up as stand alone or PDC?

It is a stand alone server in the linuxmce workgroup the xp box that works is also in the same workgroup.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:27:05 am »
Yes, 0x0 means success. The logon account should be either Guest or the account you set in the admin website.

At least you have confirmed that security isn't the issue in connecting to the PC. Given that it is Windows 2003 rather than just XP, you need to ensure that the share itself and the NTFS folder/file permissions allow that account access as well. (read and write). It is authenticating to the PC, but if you definitely cannot see it connecting in Computer Management -> System Tools -> Share Folders -> Sessions then I'm guessing there is a permissions problem on either the share (properties of the folder, then sharing/security tab) or the folder/subfolders (properties of the same folder, but permissions tab)

BTW, you can turn on security auditing on the shares and folders as well if necessary...

clapp78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:41:32 pm »
I have set up a user on the file server to use for linuxmce.  This user has full permissions on both the share permissions tab and the security tab of each share.

The settings in the web admin are correct reconfigure is off, mac and ip address is set, username and password are set on both server and share.  all shares are marked online, password chekbox is marked and password script is there. i have tried both cifs and smbfs for filesystem.

Still it does not work.

BTW thanks for your help

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:08 pm »
I'm a little stumped then. Can you go back into the sessions on the PC after hitting reload on the core, and hit F5/refresh repeatedly and quickly and just make absolutely certain there are no share sessions the Windows box can see coming in? I note that sometimes these sessions only last a second or so, so you do have to refresh quickly and keep your eye's peeled!

Failing that, I can only suggest turning on security logging for the shares and NTFS permissions as well. And monitoring the attempts to connect to the share itself and the evaluation of the NTFS permissions. This will likely generate a lot of logging, so make sure nothing else is going on at the same time to make it worse!

Also, you can use netstat on both the Linux and Windows box to monitor the TCP session as they open/close or attempt to. For instance:

On linux something like netstat -tn | grep <IPaddress of PC>
On windows something like netstat -n | find <IPaddress of Core>

You want to confirm that you can see successful (ESTABLISHED) connections, and probably a lot of Time_Wait and Close_Wait ones as well. This should confirm you have connectivity up to layer 4. Confirming the security side will imply that you have session layer. Not sure where Samba logs to, but that's the next step to see what the core reports as the application layer issue.

clapp78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:05:40 pm »
I am going to be housesitting for the next couple of days i will look more into this when i get back. It kind of sounds like the bug that Dave posted.  I will try to manually mount the shares to see if it works that way and see if it is a Ubuntu problem or a LinuxMCE problem.  I will also try colins idea and look deeper into the logs Thanks for your help i will let you know what i find out on monday.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:40:29 am »
seriously, don't manually mount (or symlink) anything or you will regret it. It will screw up LMCE's automounting functionality.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:49:16 am »
You can always poke around with smbclient a bit.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous