Author Topic: blue ray  (Read 7996 times)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
blue ray
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:44:36 pm »
Hi

Does linuxMCE support blue ray?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: blue ray
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:00:45 pm »
Hi

Does linuxMCE support blue ray?

There was some work underway on supporting Blueray... and I believe the basic capability is in the current release if the you choose it during setup. Do a search of the forum/wiki and you see some useful info.

I have personally never used it though so I will leave it to others to fill in the gap in my statement here ;-)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »
In short, Blu-Ray support on Linux is fairly limited.  There was some work and good progress early on but from what I can tell there hasn't been any forward progress in a while.  Whether or not Linux, and therefore LinuxMCE, can rip a Blu-Ray disk (required before you can play it) depends on the type and version of protection.  I haven't been following it very closely lately, but as far as I know the only reliable way to get blu-ray movies into LinuxMCE is to rip them on a windoze box using AnyDVD and copy the ripped movie over.

I have a blu-ray drive and one movie I bought to test.  Unfortunately that movie isn't supported so I can't verify, but as I understand it if you have a supported movie and the add-on software for LMCE all you have to do is put the movie in and tell it to rip.  Once done, it's in your library ready to be watched.

edit:  I almost forgot.  If you have a PS3 running Linux, supposedly it's fairly easy to dump a movie to the hard drive on the PS3 then boot into Linux and copy it to another box.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:04:05 pm by skeptic »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:04:24 pm »
The PS3 only enables getting the disc image it does nothing for decrypting. the resulting ps3 image still needs to be processed through anydvd. So if you have a Blu-ray drive the ps3 is not required.

linuxmce uses aaskeys and hddump and doesn't seem to work on the blu-ray discs i have tried.

good luck
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »
The PS3 only enables getting the disc image it does nothing for decrypting. the resulting ps3 image still needs to be processed through anydvd. So if you have a Blu-ray drive the ps3 is not required.

linuxmce uses aaskeys and hddump and doesn't seem to work on the blu-ray discs i have tried.

good luck

Grrrr, I didn't know that.  I don't have a PS3, but I've considered getting one for BD support and the occasional game.  If it doesn't make it any easier to rip movies to LMCE then it just lost a big chunk of it's appeal for me.

I'm very anti-piracy anti-drm, and all this protection BS makes me want to go pirate movies.  I refuse to pay for AnyDVDHD or PowerDVD or any other utility just so I can play the movies I bought on the player I bought, but I may swap my BD drive from my core with the DVD drive in my desktop and start digging through google to find a solution.  I know there are firmware patches to LG drives to get the volume ID without a licensed player using a windoze utility that runs under wine.  That may be enough, when combined with other programs, to allow BD rips under Linux and wine.

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:02:43 am »
Are there any updates to this?   Blue-Ray playback?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:00 am »
No. Stop asking. There is no fucking way we can legally do it. Tired of fending this question off.

-Thom

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 05:19:33 am »
No. Stop asking. There is no fucking way we can legally do it. Tired of fending this question off.

-Thom

Excuse my partial understanding of DMCA (I'm from Canada), but how is this (legally) any different from DVD-ripping which LMCE already supports. Either way you are circumventing DRM.

I understand if you say "it's illegal we won't do it", but why the double-standard?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:07:06 am »
Dude, are you intentionally being an idiot and intentionally trying to get this project in trouble?

We will not do it. Do not ask.

If you do any amount of digging on this subject under Linux, you'll find out very quickly why will be nothing short of a pain in the ass on multiple fronts. SO PLEASE. LET IT GO.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 06:15:23 am »
This seems like a perfectly valid question.  Lmce allows the use of medibuntu packages to decrypt DVDs, fair use clauses in many countries allow for this use.  I see no difference.

J.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:17:00 am »
Please refer back to my comment on the difficulties of playing back blu-ray discs under Linux.

To be more to your point, they haven't rolled in blu-ray support to Medibuntu. Please guys, think before you speak.

-Thom

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:59 am »
Please refer back to my comment on the difficulties of playing back blu-ray discs under Linux.

To be more to your point, they haven't rolled in blu-ray support to Medibuntu. Please guys, think before you speak.

-Thom

I agree with Thom in that this topic has been beaten to death.  If blu-ray is what you seek, try the Oppo. It can be controlled via the serial port, but you may need to create a template if one doesn't already exist.

Below you'll find the wiki link.

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/BluRay-Player_with_RS-232#Oppo_BDP-83

Ernesto
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

kasulstyls

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:50:06 am »
Hey,

Just to add to the thread minus the thoughts of tschak909 and how he feels about it. It is possible to play blueray in linux. I do think that the project can support the play of blueray as long as the disc is unencrypted. Which probably means the one you want to really watch will be encrypted. I do not have LinuxMCE installed and waiting for the next release to test but as long as you can get to the desktop you can install a program lxBDPlayer onto the system.
http://lxbdplayer.sourceforge.net/english.html   .... there are 2 methods be able to play the encrypted disks but the easiest version is to put in the keys into a certain location. There is an extra called makemkv to install but you can only install a certain version that will be able to read the key on the disk.
The translated page is http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/lxbdplayer&ei=_LqaTJTcGZC-sQP7qK3kBA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCgQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DlxBDPlayer%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26hs%3DIFc%26rls%3Den ... scroll down to the bold word of KEYDB.cfg and grab the latest key from the link.

I do have it playing on my mythbuntu install and am very happy with it so far.

Its up to the developers to support blueray and in time as it becomes more mainstream in linux, I am sure they will.  Anybody that asked the questions about this topic, Please keep asking ( or search forums ) more interest shown will promote somebody to work on it.

Just in case the original translated page if needed is http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/lxbdplayer

adding another link.... more info the better.....  http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1408361
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:01:17 am by kasulstyls »

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »
I would love to see blue-ray support available in Linux, as I believe that as a consumer you should have a right to choose your own players if you rightly purchase the disc, I am also of the view, that piracy can be managed in a way to be able to enjoy blue-ray playback in any players - I for one will allow authentication of my disk through the player to the studios server with my permission with success I get full 1080p without I get SD, additional benefit they can get information to target me like what amazon does. What would be a nice option like in windows, if you have a complaint graphics card, and hooked up to hdmi port, you can play blue-ray; but again the software would require keys, they would never allow that for xine.

To my comment, I believe the simple action of discussing decrypting blue-ray as tschak909 indicating can put this project in trouble with the law, my suggestion, yes you want the 1080 p quality because you have that HD tv, but until you, we, can play blue-ray in Linux - hopefully legally - just buy dvd's, you send the message were it hurts.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

DMCA style copyright legislation is not yet in place in Canada and fair-use allows (currently) for backing up of media for a variety of reasons.  DMCA style copyright legislation has recently been re-introduced here and there are significant concerns about the limitations that it would impose.  I understand that circumventing DRM/copy protection is illegal in many places, the DMCA heavily emphasises this.  DMCA recently allows circumventing for specific (very limited, usually research) purposes but continues to criminalise distributing and acquiring the tools to circumvent.  Significant legal problems would arise, in countries implementing DMCA style legislation, if LMCE were to implement circumvention functionality, or even permit a discussion about the methods to circumvent.

This question (not only this one) comes up frequently enough that there must be a vast gaping hole in the information new users see when they arrive at the forums.  We don't have a 'START HERE' post with an FAQ like most other forums I visit.  I wonder if a general sticky message at the top of the user forum with a 'READ THIS FIRST' kinda subject and a body including links to the main LMCE web page, wiki pages (especially FAQ), why no blu-ray, blah, blah would be a useful tool in heading off some of the repetitive new user questions...  Yes I know most of the info is on the wiki, but until you read through 50 random posts or more there is no link to the wiki from the forum and no FAQ guide here either.  If nothing else it may help reduce Thom's irritation/stress levels with recurring questions on the forums.

Thom:  I understand your point re: medibuntu.  Thanks.

J.