Author Topic: Maemo Diablo.:Nokia N810 Orbiter startup problems:.  (Read 6432 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Maemo Diablo.:Nokia N810 Orbiter startup problems:.
« on: October 11, 2008, 01:58:17 pm »
Hi!

I bought this device a few days ago to be used as an Orbiter in the house. I have already setup one 6630 and one laptop to be used as such but laptop is to big and the 6630 is to small(my three year old son must be able to handle it)

Followed the instructions on how to add it to LinuxMce(great instructions btw). Downloaded and installed the one click install package and let it install the orbiter sw.
Problems where however encountered when I try to open the linuxmce orbiter sw.

I define the Ip of the core and the no of the device, But then when trying to start it just stays hanging on the same page and nothing seem to happen.
Made a Tcpdump on the Core/hybrid and saw that that the orbiter tries to talk to the core but it never works(alot of S and R messages)
So I opened(disabled) the Fw and then the orbiter started to talk to the Core(dcerouter) and on the 810 I could see the progress bar and then just a blank white page.. =/

What am I doing wrong? The core has been both reloaded and reset after the Orbiter generation. The instructions has been followed exactly as they are written and I simply assume some dependant package must be missing in my 810 or in the Core. But I am not skilled enough to troubleshoot further and need some guidance.
First I would like help answering these questions though:

1. What are the ports that should be opened in the fw (in the Core/hybrid)?
 (I am using two Nic's and one of them is the external one going to the wlan router of mine that also acts as a adsl router)
2.Can I make some sort of debug to see where it fails?

-johan

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maemo Diablo.:Nokia N810 Orbiter startup problems:.:solved
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:10:08 am »
Ok, solved it now. The startup issue was due to me not having filled in the user for the orbiter.I assumed that it was not needed since it worked for the weborbiter not to have that defined.

Although if someone could help me on what is the necessary port to open for the communicationa between the 810 and the dcerouter that is highly appreciated.

-johan

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Maemo Diablo.:Nokia N810 Orbiter startup problems:.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:01:52 am »
If you set up your network configuration correctly, there is no need to open a firewall port.

-Thom

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 11:05:38 pm »
 :) Thanks, sounded like a nicer way of saying rtfm  ;) :)

well I am not going to go to deep about the network setup since it's hopefully temporary before we move into the new house and can have the wlan router "behind" the Core.

Anyway, found it out, I think. And I can connect without having to open the fw to the rest of the world. Having problems with that the orbiter gui dies on me sporadically, but guess it's due to the setup and maybe some settings that need more tweking.
 Really neat this device is, and perfect for the use as orbiter.

over and out
Johan

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 11:49:11 pm »
Sounds like you've now worked this out, but for clarity and future reference - all your equipment related to LMCE should be on the internal LMCE network as that is the whole point of that network. Trying to hook it in from the external network will work with appropriate firewall rules, etc, but you need to be conscious that this is not how it was designed to work, so you can expect unexpected behaviour :)

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:48:59 am »
Having problems with that the orbiter gui dies on me sporadically

Could you, please, be more informative? Try to run the Orbiter from the xterm:
Code: [Select]
Orbiter -r <your_core IP> -d <Orbiter ID> > orbiter.log 2>&1and post here the log file. Also be sure that you chose correct size for the Nokia Orbiter (It should be Nokia770). Be sure that you use correct ID when the Orbiter is run. You can open ports 3306 and 3877 to allow the Orbiter communicate with core if your N810 is not in LinuxMCE network.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:52:28 pm »
Sounds like you've now worked this out, but for clarity and future reference - all your equipment related to LMCE should be on the internal LMCE network as that is the whole point of that network. Trying to hook it in from the external network will work with appropriate firewall rules, etc, but you need to be conscious that this is not how it was designed to work, so you can expect unexpected behaviour :)

::) well I know, in the current situation I cannot let the dcerouter be The router (it's in our bedroom and network need to be up 24/7) but when we move to the house  ;D
Also the problem actually did not seem to be related to the routing but something else. As I found the user was not set. (otherwise I would not have posted actually)

nite_man
Thanks. I opened these ports as well but there must be something else missing as well since startup takes along time(click start orbiter,black screen with pointer,wait 10-20s, now the progress bar shows up)
Will do some more tcpdump:s to see what packages get's lost.

I don't expect you to troubleshoot this(since I am not connected the way supposed to), hence the non-informative info that it dies sometimes. The main problem is solved with the user config. I beleive the "dying" is due to routing issues, not with the orbiter sw.

If you however would still like to know what happens for future reference maybe. I can do as much logging as you want me to.
 Since it does actually work _pretty_ well outside of the FW.
For other people who may want to do the same(knowing what you're doing is off course very good)

I also opened these ports(only my orbiter should be able to access these ports from outside):
3451(configured to be the default listening port of the orbiter)

With these ports it works but as I said there are some other ports missing since it seem to loose connection while looking at a movie for example and shuts down(like the dcerouter stops talking due to high proc load) But I find that not so likely.(haven't hade the time to loook into that more)
also when starting the orbiter, it sometimes gets stuck in the pink "prompt_user_window" and then dies..
I assume this is because the orbiter is still beleived to be active(?) by the Core..

Orbiter on the Inside Lan(the way it should be):
I had a few minutes alone in the network today and changed the netw topology abit. The dce router became The router connected directly to my isp and on the internal Lan I had the wlan router routing the traffic for all the other computers(wired and wireless)
Hmm.. need to dig into dns config since dns lookup took very long time and the dns config sent out to th computers where the dcerouter itself and that seemed to have small issues resolving the names with the help from the isp dns:s..

But Wow! the Orbiter became much faster(menu loading) and I actually saw these _sometimes_ annoing popups about added bluetooth yada yada ;)
Had some issues with the startup still, but there where a too short testperiod to say anything.

Really missing tschak909's exit button though.. will try to do what he did but that can wait since compiling sounds difficult  :-\ ..

Also sometimes wish I had some equipment from work at home since then the FW config would be a piece of cake (Checkpoint NGX on ipso) don't like leaving the dcerouter directly conn. to the "big evil" internet :)

You guys Rock!

-johan

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:01:46 pm by johanr »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:15:57 pm »
You having that problem with the bluetooth dongle device continually dying and reloading? You can tail the launch bluetooth log to see if it is.. I'm having that too, can cannot connect Javamo through it. From what I have read, this maybe just an incompatibility with certain bluetooth adaptors. Someone else fixed this by switching adaptor. Reading the wiki perhaps suggests that this maybe because mine has a Broadcom chipset and the wiki says they only use CSR chipsets so I am trying to find a CSR chipset dongle that is Class 1, Version 2.0/2.1+EDR but also reasonably priced! I think I have one on its way to me now, so I will probably update the wiki once I have an idea. Also, I note that there have been significant ongoing kernel problems that downstream to the Ubunutu family with bluetooth stuff that causes major log flooding. Seems they have had some commit issues so it has existed in the kernel from 0610 - 0810...

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 11:31:18 pm »
yeah,  read about that. but I am not sure if it applies to me. Since it's only when I have the N95 orbiter visible but not connected as orbiter that I get that message all the time. When I make it invisible the continous popup stops.  Think it could be that everytime the bluetooth radio scans it finds the n95, and displays the message(?) haven't looked at it that much since it works  will check that log. Thanks!
:)
I am using a cheap Dlink thingy..btw

Gah.. trying to add a logfile from the orbiter but keep getting this message.
"Cannot access attachments upload path!" I have the file on my windows laptop and have had no previous problems with uploading files etc. can it be my account not having the proper rights?

here's a snapshot of the log though: (ip has been xx:ed out by me)
WMControllerImpl: switching to primary desktop 0
10   10/13/08 21:02:06,596      WMControllerImpl: user's current desktop: 1091792896
35   10/13/08 21:02:06,597      WmCtrl::ActionCommand('s', '(null)', '0', 0, (nil))

10   10/13/08 21:02:06,601      WMControllerImpl: switching to primary desktop 0
05   10/13/08 21:02:10,607      Connect() failed, Error Code 113 (No route to host))
10   10/13/08 21:02:13,797      WizardLogic::Setup using host 217.174.75.2 ((nil))
01   10/13/08 21:02:13,830      Connect failed Host '2XX.1XX.XX.X' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

also alot of these:
  display : 0xe144f8
  serial : 27
  error_code : 
  request_code : 7
  minor_code : 
  resourceid : 31457281
ErrorText : BadFont (invalid Font parameter)

Xlib: ErrorHandler_Grabber()
  type : 0
  serial : 28
  error_code :
  request_code : F
  minor_code : 
  resourceid : 31457287
ErrorText : BadGC (invalid GC parameter)

serial : 29
  error_code :
  request_code : J
  minor_code : 
  resourceid : 31457288
ErrorText : BadGC (invalid GC parameter)

serial : 30
  error_code :
  request_code :
--------------------------------
Belieive the biggest problem is that it can't connect due to "no route to host" which is strange because after reset of device in LMCE admin it usually works =/
anyhow.. this log helps me alot. Now I can see more what happens when fiddling around.
I consider this issue solved. It's just a matter of tuning the routing abit more.

Thanks nite_man!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:59:24 pm »
10   10/13/08 21:02:13,797      WizardLogic::Setup using host 217.174.75.2 ((nil))
01   10/13/08 21:02:13,830      Connect failed Host '2XX.1XX.XX.X' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

Try putting your device on the internal network (192.168.80.X) where all lmce devices are supposed to live.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »
To prevetn misunderstandings I am gonna lock this topic now since the original problem described when starting this post has been solved.

Zaerc, I know  ;) been there done that (even marked it as Bold in the post before that)

Thanks all for your help! It's really appreciated!
 :)

Br
Johan