Author Topic: Install issues (Chaintech AV710, Dell Dimension 4600)  (Read 1201 times)

bblboy54

Install issues (Chaintech AV710, Dell Dimension 4600)
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:33:03 pm »
I'm trying to convert my home to LinuxMCE after being railroaded by the latest version of MythBuntu.....  So far I'm seeing things in LinuxMCE that have me totally excited and others that are just leaving me totally frustrated.  I know its a new project so I hope to be able to give feedback and help the developers (I, however, am not a developer).

Currently I have my core running in my crawlspace and that took a lot of coaxing to get running.  I still havent got MythTV set up and it's looking like I'm going to have problems with the PVR-150 IR Blaster which is unfortunate.  The main issue at hand is trying to get a diskless media director set up in my living room.  First, the details of that machine:

Dell Dimension 4600
Pentium 4 2.4ghz HT
2GB DDR400 RAM
No optical drive (yet)
No hard drive
Chaintech AV710 Sound Card (w/ optical) (on-board audio disabled in bios)
PCI GeForce2 MX card with 32MB of RAM (Dual Head)
StreamZap USB remote control

After going through the video set up I come to the connector type for audio and I select optical spdif.  I hear the music that follows just fine.  Next it comes to Dolby Digital and I do not hear music, however, I should at this point.  My receiver supports Dolby Digital and works with the sound card (This is how it was running in MythBuntu).  Regardless, I say no and it asks about DTS.  My receiver does not support DTS so I say no -- and that's it.  The machine hasn't locked up at all because I can switch tty's using ALT-CTRL-Fx but I don't know what the username and password would be on a moon system and tty10 doesn't show anything useful.  While the system hasn't locked up, it seems that the setup process has.  I tried this a couple times and then I left it sit over night to make sure it wasn't just being slow.  This morning I tried again and selected analog audio and, while I wasn't able to hear any audio (yes, I connected to the analog port on the card), the orbiter completed the set up.  I haven't even got to the StreamZap remote.  I also got errors initially when I was using OpenGL -- which seems odd because the card should support OpenGL.  I switched to minimal and it works fine.

It is looking to me that LinuxMCE does not support the Chaintech AV710 sound card (which is an VIA Envy24 chip, I believe) and this kind of shocks me because this is the card that almost everyone I talk to has recommended for using with MythTV and it works FLAWLESSLY in basically any other distro.  Additionally, the card that I have had numerous problems with previously, the SB Live, is actually in the set up options on LinuxMCE.  I'm quite confused about this.

Does anyone have any information that could help me out.  I'd be happy to provide any additional information, log files, etc if someone let's me know what would be helpful.

Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Install issues (Chaintech AV710, Dell Dimension 4600)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:55:05 pm »
The Chaintech card we currently do not have a device template for any configuration exceptions, so if ALSA doesn't support it out of the box in this release, hopefully it will be okay by the time 8.10 rolls around.

I recommend using a different GeForce card, or only using UI1. UI2 masked will not work on that card, it's too slow.

The StreamZap USB remote will work with some basic phenagling, but you should look into getting a small touch screen and installing the orbiter software (A Nokia N810 is a good choice, as is an ipaq PDA)

-Thom

bblboy54

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:44:23 am »
This isn't an attack on LinuxMCE at all but just an observation that is getting frustrating to me.  It seems that this is the response that is starting to be heard with regards to Linux machines..... I recommend buying _____ piece of hardware.  I miss the days when you could just grab any linux distro for whatever purpose and find that it ran on the hardware that you already had laying around your house.  When KnoppMyth came out it may not have been intuitively installed and instantly running but there were enough people interested in making all hardware work and you could always find a nice how-to to make it work.  MythBuntu was great the first version that came out but now they are taking the stance of "why do you want to use that crappy hardware"....

Like I said, thats not a shot at LinuxMCE, and I'm really looking forward to getting my home running with it....  I just really miss the good ol' days.

bblboy54

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »
The machine hasn't locked up at all because I can switch tty's using ALT-CTRL-Fx but I don't know what the username and password would be on a moon system

It appears that the username and password are both "linuxmce" but these don't work during the install phase.  Is there a different password that is used while diskless setup is running?