Author Topic: Nokia N770 as orbiter....  (Read 2369 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Nokia N770 as orbiter....
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:43:37 pm »
I know some of the guys have been doing a lot of work on these recently, could somebody point to the most current thread or wiki I can follow to install the latest version? I haven't used my old 770 in a long time, and remember the old process being rather torturous! Manually installing libraries, in and out of red pill mode, blah blah :)

Also, which version of the OS do you recommend I upgrade to? I think it is currently upgraded to the original 800 OS (OS2007?)....

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Nokia N770 as orbiter....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:20:09 am »
Colin,

Go to the maemo garage site and search for linuxmce and you will find all the various packages. Should be able to just click on the packages and have it install. May need to add a new repository first.
Also, uninstall any old version first.

Regards
Darren

ps: I am still using OS2006, working quite well - although I am not using it much as I tend to use the keyboard in the lounge and the fiire remote in the back room.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:43:21 am »
Thanks Darren - any suggestions if I wanted to completely blow away the unit and start from scratch with a new copy of the OS? (I strongly suspect I really screwed it up last time when playing with it!)

Would this be the process?

1. Reflash OS
2. Add repository for maemo
3. Set up Wifi
4. Browse to maemo garage from the unit and install package

Does LMCE automatically detect it and create an orbiter or do I do that manually? (last time I had it set up on the external network as that was the only place I had an AP, so I don't know how LMCE reacts to this device when it gets a lease)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:56:41 am »
Sequence sounds about right.

It is not automatically detected. Just add an orbiter as per the wiki web page.